1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding avi to burnable format using ffmpegx

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by spoona, Nov 18, 2005.

1. spoona

spoona Member

Hi guys,
    I Have ffmpegx installed on my mac ibook g4,i need to convert an avi file to a burnable dvd format,there are a lot of options to choose from in the drop down menu when you are asked what format,so what one should i go for?

I am running toast 6.1.1 using dvd -r,but i also have dvd +r.

I Have all codecs installed so that part is ok,i have started encoding a file but it is taking a long time,i dont want to wait for it to finish only for it not to work.

Also am i missing anything?so ineed to be using mac the ripper anywhere in the process?

Any help would be appreciated as i am running low on patience and dvd r!

James,

2. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

ok..

you can check the ending files in dvd player to see if it did it correctly.

i usually leave this overnight. i'm never sure how long it would take anyways. but as it encodes you do other things and let it run its course.

this be this one.. i'm not sure on this one. but like i said.. let it run overnight.

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/dvd_sub.html

what brand are you using? my sig says it all.. nothing but verbatims and taiyo yudens for my burning needs.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  3. spoona

spoona Member

Hi thanks for the reply lox,im using tdk ive read reviews and they got good reviews,is media really that important ?also my dvd player isnt one of the major brands s,o that could be it.

James.

4. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

i'm sure those arent that great.. and yes.. quality media can be a big factor. the dvd player issue... most of the no name ones are usually surprisingly good at playing most dvds..

i would for sure recommend some ty's or some verbs..

fuji.. (must be made in japan)

check out the dvd media forum here..

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/47

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  5. mommac

mommac Member

I am using a IMac G5, Tiger 10.4.3 with a superdrive.

ffmpegX 0.0.9t, Toast 6 titanium.

I was able to find a thread entitled "Macintosh rip/compress/burn guide". I have read it about 13 times, printed it, highlighted parts that were relevant to my problem. Read it again and tried some things.

I have successfully burned 2 avi files to one DVD. Watched it on my TV. And even had sound. I used ffmpegX to encode the avi file to an mpv video file. Used the same program and encoded the same avi file to an mp3 file for audio. Used toast 6 to burn the dvid. When I put the mpv file onto toast, it asked me where the audio file was. I pointed to the audio filed. Burned the DVD and actually figured out how to make a menu on the DVD so I could select which movie I wanted to watch.

My problem is I can't seem to do it again. I've spent the last 36 hours trying every option on ffmpegX to repeat what I have done the first time.

I've decided that this can't be that hard, but I can't seem to do a second DVD like I did the first. I can get the avi file encoded to mpv. But can't seem to match the sound file to it. Everything I've tried has not worked.

Is this a once in a lifetime deal. Does ffmpegX only do this once and I have to download it again to repeat the steps, or do I have something set wrong.

I usualy send a message to these forums and never really get a reply, but would like some help on this isue.

6. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

i'm not sure on this one.. i really dont do the avi to dvd...
    i just used toast 7 for anything like that..

you may also want to check out this site... its mainly for mac users.. and i think the reason there are not a lot of replies in this one.. is because there isnt a huge flow of mac users.. there's about a handful i can think of....

here's that site...

http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/index.php

7. mommac

mommac Member

Thanks, thelox. I did use Toast 7 and burned an episode of Star Trek - TNG. Put it into the DVD and the picture was beautiful, clear and not pixilated. But needed to lip read the whole show. I didn't get any sound. I've gotten the same thing when I use ffmpeg. Clear picture no sound. Just can't figure out what I did to get the first two episodes to come out right.

Thought posting here someone might have a clue.