1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASPI Layers --- more info please

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by shaqflash, Nov 18, 2005.

1. shaqflash

shaqflash Guest

PLEASE EXCUSE ME IF THIS TREAD IS UNDER THE WRONG SECTION, BUT I NEED SOME HELP...THANKS.

In one of my other threads in the NERO Discussion section, I was told to check my ASPI layers. Well, I did and my Nero ASPI is installed, but my System ASPI was not. I was referred to go to the following: http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

Please give me some more info about ASPI layers and what they do and if it will be okay to install.

All this relates to my dvd burner not reading. Additionally, it does not read dvds period. I burned one dvd just fine, but after that...nothing else worked.

For reference, please visit my other thread
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/256917

2. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Let me see if i can find another ASPI program. ASPI is very important for burning. I think it is a software interface consisting of 4 layers that communicate between drive and PC.
    Here is bbmayo's answer to that question:

Wow, it's right here at AD:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/aspi.cfm

SO you can see ASPI is important. A friend of mine has nero, and his system would reboot whenever he tried to burn a CD, but not crash for a DVD. I found his system ASPI was corrupted. Installed ASPI from the bbmayo link, and now he is burning CDs like crazy. No reboots happening. Give it a shot, and post back here if you have problems. Good Luck.

3. shaqflash

shaqflash Guest

I installed successfully. But I believe the drive is no longer any good. I'm hesitant to say the latter becuz when I look at the hardware from the properties window, it says the drive is fine. But when I insert a dvd and run it, nero showtime says the "DRIVE IS NOT READY". And windows media player has the e: drive grayed out so it cant be selected. What do you guys think?

4. attar

attar Senior member

What does Windows Explorer report when a DVD movie dvd is in the drive and you click on 'my computer'?
    Does it show the name of the dvd and the file size?

5. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Try running Nero info tools, and click thru the tabs. One of them checks your ASPI:
    [​IMG]
    and this tab shows your DMAs
    [​IMG]
    That info tool is a great little program. Just click thru the tabs, and see if you can see anything strange going on.

6. shaqflash

shaqflash Guest

I went thru in the infotool on Nero already and nothing seemed out of place. It stated that the DVD + R drive is working properly. As far as when I choose My Computer, it does not show the name of the dvd in that drive. When I double click on the drive, no files show. Again, all this happened after my first burn (which was successful). Do you think, and Im just reaching, that some kind of program was secretely installed on the drive to not work anymore...thus no more burning...is it a conspiracy :D?

7. amosco13

amosco13 Member

what if you can't run that aspi program because my computer pops up that it can't run in dos

8. attar

attar Senior member

@shaqflash
    You burned a dvd -successfully, after which the drive quit.
    Either the drive gave up or something was changed in software- after the burn.
    If it was software, can you 'system restore' back to a date before the burn?

9. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

@amosco13
    I think i see a dos shell pop up briefly so, yes i think it goes in to dos to get some of the info. Never heard of a computer not letting you go in to dos, but i always used windows programs, so i guess that could happen when a system doesnt have dos installed?? Don't really have an answer for that one. If you suspect your aspi is corrupt or bad, you could just run the aspi installer listed in the post. I don't think that one goes in to a dos shell.
    @shaqflash
    It is starting to sound like a hardware problem, if all the software issues are reporting back fine. Check your ide cables at both drive and motherboard connection. They could be loose, (also the power connection on the bad drive) or you may have a bad cable. If cable is secure, and it still doesn't work, you could swap drives, and see if the other drive now doesn't work (you may have to change master/slave settings on each drive for this one). If the swapped drive now doesn't work, you have a bad cable. If the swapped drive works, and the suspect drive still doesn't work, you have a bad drive. Most drives last a long time, and you can get thousands of burns out of them before they wear out. Some drives fail much quicker. So with a little cable/drive swapping, we can figure out if you drive is toast. It might be, but these things are worth checking unless you have unlimited funds. Go the cheapest fix first, then save the cash as a last resort.

10. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

@shaqflash
    A couple more things. Did you check each drive with info tool? There is a pulldown to select the drive. I had a PC where ASPI was fine on the first drive (happened to be the first one listed) and bad on the other drive. Took me awhile before i realized i was only checking one drive..DUUhh.
    Also i think we have a much better chance of this being a drive failure due to parts issue, rather than a secret malicious code attack that kills your DVD burner. Not saying it couldn't happen, but have you ever heard of occams razor?
    So let's stick with the most likely stuff first, and save the space alien/malicious code theory for later. I like it, but you want your problem fixed, right?
    Creaky listed this in another post about the different types of cables. You should have the 80 pin type unless you are using an old system.
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  11. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

@amosco13
    I am answering you in your other thread you opened. Check there, but i said the same thing, this time listing a different aspi program.

12. shaqflash

shaqflash Guest

Excuse me for the slow response. I wlll give those suggestions a try and report my conclusions...hopefully I don't fry anything!

13. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

shaqflash
    No problem on the slow response. I sometimes dissappear here for a day or two as life intervenes and keeps me from getting back here. I try to go back and check all my posts to see if things have changed. I usually don't subscribe to a thread, as my email inbox gets flooded if i do that. You take your time, and try the suggestions at your own pace. Your problem does sound like a hardware issue going on. The good thing is burner prices are coming down. As a last resort measure, a drive replacement, but try everything else first.

Also here is what AD says about ASPI layers and how to install them:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005