1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting several episodes onto one DVD with DVD2oneX

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by rumblefix, Jan 27, 2006.

1. rumblefix

rumblefix Member

I was going to put this in the DVD2one Forum, but it's more of a mac question since the PC and mac versions are slightly different.

I've used DVD2oneX to compress VIDEO_TS files without problems. But I'm a bit stumped as far as joining features onto oneDVD goes. Has anyone written a guide on this? - I searched but nothing came up.

Here's what I am trying to do:

I have a DVD with 6 episodes from a TV show on it. There are 3 episodes on each side of the DVD, and each side has it's own navigation menu. I have ripped the two sides to two separate VIDEO_TS folders (of 3 GB each). I want to compress these six episodes onto one DVD but retain the two menus pertaining to each of the 3 chapters. How do I use the JOIN feature of DVD2oneX to achieve this? Won't I have problems, since both VIDEO_TS folders have vob and ifo files with the same names?

Thanks in advance.

2. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

3. rumblefix

rumblefix Member

Hi Thelox,

Thanks for your help again.

I have v 1.4.2. I followed the link you added, but it didn't really explain much. The Join info on the DVD2oneX site is either not there anymore or not very helpful (the info that I could find anyway). I wondered if anyone here had done this before. I did experiment by joining two large VOB files from two separate VIDEO_TS folders together, but only the first file would play. Not having any instructions, I probably did something wrong.

I read a few posts by PC users and their DVD2one seems to be different. Also there seem to be special tools available to PC users to edit VOB and IFO files. I can't find anything like these for Macs, and I think I might need them to put all the episodes together in one VIDEO_TS folder and also make a new menu with the six episodes in.

Anyone got any ideas?

4. rumblefix

rumblefix Member

There is a program called [bold]D-Vision[/bold] (currently v3.15) which is a cocoa front-end to mencoder that can encode Divx 3, 4, Xvid and h264. It also has tools that to split and join .avi files, as well as [bold]join .vob files.[/bold]

You can find it at www.versiontracker.com or [bold]www.objectifmac.com[/bold] (the developers site). It looks like a very useful utility, but it may not be what I need since I don't actually want to join the .VOB files themselves.

So far I think the most useful utility would be [bold]myDVDEdit[/bold]. You can find it at www.mydvdedit.com. It is a mac DVD editor, but it seems that editing .VOB files will not be available until v1.0 (it's currently at v0.97). However, the developer's site has some great general info on DVDs. It's worth a look just for that.

Anyway I will post stuff like this as I find it, because it may be exactly what someone else is looking for. And once I get the episode merging business sorted out I will write a guide to help others.

5. rumblefix

rumblefix Member

Just found this: [bold]pgcEdit[/bold] which is an .IFO editor for the Mac.

You can find the latest version (0.62) here, but read carefully the installation instructions. [bold]www.videohelp.com/~r0lZ/pgcedit/#current[/bold]

I think this may be a good utility for editing the .IFO files (the menus etc) in a VIDEO_TS folder. But it seems to go way over my head. Anyone used this before?

6. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

Did you get the problem solved? Am used to joining files from one (side) of disc, or double-layer disc together... and just had a go joining from two different discs, joining an episode from a sitcom and one from a drama series using the 1.4.2 version and both played fine on DVD player, one after the other.
    If you are still having problems, let me know and we'll go through the steps together.

terryxpress

7. rumblefix

rumblefix Member

Ok, take us through the process - it will be good to have it posted somewhere for reference.

:)

8. frontbum

frontbum Member

I could use the run through on dvd2one join mode.Its driving me crazy burning one episode per dvd.HElp?

9. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

(bold)Choosing and joining episodes, from the same or different discs, using DVD2oneX:(bold)

1. Open DVD2oneX2-2.05, the latest version, and click “…movie only or join multiple movie titles”
    2. Window opens asking you to Select a source folder. Click on folder with the movie/program you want AND CONTINUE TO CLICK until you click on the VIDEO_TS folder itself and VTS_01_1_VOB list appears. Click CHOOSE button at bottom right of window.
    3. Double window appears. On the right, note Title 1, with a second Title (with a number) with PAL or NTSC, and language following. DVD2one automatically initially chooses the first non-extra video title. (extras are the bonus features or piracy warning segment) To see the full list of contents of the rip:
    4. In the left hand window, Click on the 2nd yellow Title icon (which is not followed by a number.) Something like this appears:
    5. (img)http://www.theurl.com/picture/gif(img)

6. The first segment in the list has automatically been chosen and is highlighted. If this is not the segment you want, Click once on the Tltle number you do want.

7. In the left hand window, now Click on Title 1 (above the yellow unnumbered ‘Title’ heading). The right hand window changes, and the number after the second Title heading now corresponds to the segment/episode you chose from the full list.

8. Go to the single + sign at the bottom of the left hand window and Click. This means you will be ‘adding’ another title to the list of those you want from the total list. It allows you to continue, and select the next episode you want.

9. HOWEVER, you will note that the ‘Select a source folder’ window re-appears. If the next segment / episode you want is from the list you are working on, just Click on Choose. (If not, and you want something from a different disc/folder, we’ll get to that below.)

10. The Title/yellow Title/,audio/cells etc listing has repeated itself. Go back to step 6 above, starting with ..’Click on the Title number…’ and so repeat the process.

11. When you have chosen the episodes you want, Click on the bottom right hand circle with the green light.

12. A new window appears. Change the highlighted MyDVD
    name of your selection if you wish, then press OK, and choose where to save it. It saves a VIDEO_TS file ready for burning in TOAST.

Choosing episodes/segments from different discs:

After each Click on the + button adding an episode to your selection, the Choose Source window appears. Just navigate to the folder containing the next rip you want, and repeat from step 2.

Watch out for:
    (A) some discs have, say, 3 individual title episodes of one hour each, and another title file 3 hours long. On the commercial disc, you are given the choice for playing all episodes, or choose a specific episode to play (after which it returns you to the menu.) What I surmise is that it is a double layer disc, with play-all on one layer and individual episodes on the other layer, so that it does not have to jump layers. Anyone know more about this?
    (B) I’ve had the odd disc where the episodes eg Series One, episodes 1-6 where NOT in that order, and I was going bonkers at my stupidity for keeping on choosing the wrong ones, till I did each individually and played each with DVDplayer to identify which number on the list corresponded to which episode in the series. (I also have DVDReMaster, which gives a row of thumbnails for each segment in a rip which can aid identification if in doubt, but this is not a free program, and I prefer to use DVD2one.

IF SOMEBODY WILL NOW READ THIS AND TELL ME WHERE IT’S NOT CLEAR OR EVEN DOWNRIGHT CONFUSING.

10. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

and a simpletons guide to how to actually include a picture would help this newbie!!!!!!!!!

Can one of the moderators insert the relevant picture from their knowledge of the screen I mean from DVD2one?

11. frontbum

frontbum Member

Thank you Terryx .Worked good