1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macintosh rip,compress & burn guide

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mediaguru, Nov 14, 2004.

1. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

You have to have these files in both discs:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO

Does the first disc play?

If not you may be out of luck. The file structure of your disc has many ifo files so there must be a bunch of smaller clips or extras on this disc...right? if there are a TON of extras you may as well use dvd2oneX and select movie only. There may not be much, if any quality loss.

Remember: Don't burn one unless you have checked it with dvd player first!

2. gatorbbal

gatorbbal Member

i followed the guide at the beginning of the thread. i used mactheripper and ripped the entire dvd. then i chose the 'movie only' mode in dvd2onex. i got the main file in the VIDEO TS folder (of the entire ripped folder). i clicked and highlighted the main title with basically the longest duration (over 2 hrs of the movie)... anyways i then opened up toast and put in the Video TS folder and Audio folder.. however the movie burned ... odd?
    i cant open it on my powerbook. i just see a bunch of text files. when i stick it into my dvd player (with the tv), i had to go thru a bunch of diff choices to finally get the video to play, and when it did play, only the intro played with volume and the rest of the dvd was w/o volume. i know i ripped the entire dvd (including extras, etc). is it not possible to compress the entire dvd and be able to put it into my powerbook and on my tv and have the normal menu come up.. etc etc (movie with sound)?
    please please email me if you can help! gatornicole@gmail.com
    thank you!

3. Hammer610

Hammer610 Member

>You have to have these files in both discs:

>VIDEO_TS.BUP
    >VIDEO_TS.IFO

>Does the first disc play?

All those files, including those two, above the break in the list were on the DVD.

No, it did not play. Luckily, I ripped it on a DVD-RW, so no disks were sacrificed in this experiment. :)

(yes, DVD-RW work in my DVD player)

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

That theory probably won't work on that dvd. A dvd with a more "simple" structure would work.

5. gatorbbal

gatorbbal Member

so i just tried burning it again... i get the same weird menu at the startup of the dvd. i cant play it on my powerbook.... it appears the first few chapters are DVD and the rest are VCD and the VCD ones have no sound. can anyone help me?

6. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

What the heck is this thing???

BTW you don't need to burn it to check it. Just load up DVD Player and use the "open VIDEO_TS folder" function.

7. gatorbbal

gatorbbal Member

thanks mediaguru... i did use the dvd player and the Open video_ts folder... apparently i'm doing something wrong in the compression process... does it matter what version of dvd2onex i use? i had been using 'movie only' which i thought was the entire movie folder including all the extras and such, and i would click on the main chapter.. and then i would select any english languages for that one chapter. why cant i compress everything? sorry for all the questions. but i've been trying to figure this out all day

8. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I would junk all that you've ripped and start over. Something is messed up. Then check the guide at the top of the mac forum and try to follow those steps.

9. mettur

mettur Member

mediaguru,

Thanks a bunch for the excellent write up at the beginning. I wish I read that COMPLETELY before I burned my first DVD. But there is always a silver lining to every thing.

I as able to rip the DVD properly. I ripped "Main feature only" using Mac the Ripper. Even though the full DVD for >7G, the "Main feature only" was about 4.3G, so I was able to go to "Toast" directly. Since I did not read your directions "Completely" I used "DVD-Video" options in Toast. I named the disc properly. After burning I realized every time I press menu it goes to a page at the beginning not the menu page I saw when I tested VIDEO_TS.

After reading your instruction properly, I used DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS" options in toast, then I get error message "There's not enough free space on this disc: 2321712 sectors (4.4GB) are needed, 2298496 sectors (4.4GB) are available."

I tried the method of selecting "DVD-ROM (UDF) from the Data tab. Same error message. Seems like I have to go the route of "compression".

You have written about "DVD2ONEX". I am wondering how good is "POPCORN" from RoxIO? How does this compare with "DVD2ONEX" Before I spend $50x1.35 = 68, just wondering if "Popcorn" is same or better. Any comments?

Again thank for the great post, and thanks for your help on this forum.

10. gatorbbal

gatorbbal Member

thanks mediaguru. i finally figured out the problem. when i would compress the files, i was checking the audio boxes for all 'english' boxes that i could choose. anyways, i figured out which one i have to choose from now on. bc a few discs i burned had subtitles (which is odd bc i didnt check any of the subtitle boxes) or commentaries playing during the movie. but i finally got it (just burning the main feature only) so, thank you!

11. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Glad to hear it's working out for you guys.

Regarding popcorn I would imagine dvd2onex has many more features at this time (join, movie only, selecting audio tracks etc). Look into dvdremaster too if you want straight compression it is great.

Never used popcorn though.

12. yourmom98

yourmom98 Member

yea ive been Downloading avi movies and i cant burn them to a single 4.3 GB dvd i was wondering if there is a program to compress avi files for toast the avi files themselves are only like 600 mb but when put to toast the program says that it needs like 5 Gb so is there a program to compress the avi file for dvd and how do i use

13. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Yes this is an issue where the total video time is higher than the capacity of a dvd-r.

You could create a disc image that is 5gb and then run your video ts folder through dvd2onex to reduce the size.

14. yourmom98

yourmom98 Member

sorry man i really a noob with this so how do i make a disk image?

15. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Well if you had it setup in toast but it was too big, all you'd do instead of hitting "burn" is go the the file menu and select "save as disc image."

When it is done saving as a disc image you "mount" the image with toast and then your computer just thinks you've inserted a dvd that is over 5 MB. It will pop up in dvd player and play just like a normal dvd (if you did it right).

Then you can load up dvd2onex and compress it just like you would a dvd that you ripped.

16. yourmom98

yourmom98 Member

Thx Media i got that to work i just have 1 more question is there and thing that can make the same thing work with MKV videos cause i got a few of those too

17. mettur

mettur Member

[bold]Glad to hear it's working out for you guys.

Regarding popcorn I would imagine DVD2OneX has many more features at this time (join, movie only, selecting audio tracks etc). Look into dvdremaster too if you want straight compression it is great.

Never used popcorn though.[/bold]

Well the price was right $30 for Popcorn, I bought it and tried it. Yes it certainly has very few options. No chance of selecting differnt audio or any thing else. All it does is compress, and burn.

Although in another forum some one else said about this - no guessing on what the compression ratio is. Popcorn automagically selects the compression ratio depending on the media you are using. On the other hand, we cannot store the final VIDEO_TS to disk (although we can store the image to disk). The best part of this compression and burn with one click. Especially when it is taking so long to compress, and then burn, there is no baby sitting to go from one to the other.

I still miss all the fancy features in DVD2OneX. I may still endup getting that.

18. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

My RIP/COMPRESS/BURN GUIDE is a work in progress. I've just updated it a little today with the following.

1. a way to split the dvd into to with no video loss using DVD2ONEX

2. There is a problem with all versions of Mac The Ripper (up to 2.6) where the feature only will result in an unplayable backup. So just extract the whole disc for now. They are upgrading MTR and will hopefully fix this problem.

19. pfagan

pfagan Guest

Thank you Mediaguru for the great guide for beginners. I have successfully ripped a DVD onto my hard disk (2.5 GB), and now I'd like to be able to compress/encode to store on a 1 GIG CF card that I can put into my Pocket PC (ipaq hx4700) for viewing. I am using a Mac Powerbook G4 with the latest OSX. I cannot tell which software programs would allow me to turn the ripped content into the right format for use on the PPC. Would you mind to suggest one?

Many thanks.

20. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

What kind of files does that unit play? Quicktime is probably the answer.