1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox live updates

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by aswayea, Mar 19, 2006.

1. aswayea

aswayea Member

how can i get updates for my games without having xbox live?
    Thanks!

2. handsom

handsom Regular member

I'm curious too. I am hearing something about Halo 2 updating it on it's own. I don't know if it's true. I have the game and will try it soon. I'll be sure to let you know.

3. handsom

handsom Regular member

I did it with Halo 2. That will update it perfectly without connecting. Just select the xbox live option in the main menu, and before it even connects, it will update your system.

Hope that helps you out!

4. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@handsom
    Is that true?
    A lot of people can find the dashupdate in halo2 either offline or online.

5. handsom

handsom Regular member

Yes; I let it load to the main menu; and selected the 'XBox Live' choice in it; the game exited to dashboard, and asked me to wait, while it updated my system, then it restarted. Immediately after doing this, I was able to use one of the hacks with mechassault. There was no network cable connected to the XBox at the time; so the information was not gathered or downloaded from the net.

I know this is a much asked question, but I do recall a rather large update just before Halo 2 to make the servers able to handle that huge anticipated load. That leads to add to the belief that this update is self contained on the disc.

So yes, it has been tested, just remember to go as far as you can towards playing on live, until you see the update in your dashboard.

6. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Thank a lot for this info.

7. YuCKonIT

YuCKonIT Member

i tried that.. and when it tried to update, it said leave halo 2 to go to the dahboard? and i said yes.. after that it went to error 21... help?

8. handsom

handsom Regular member

Your eeprom is gone, somehow it was lost or damaged; bottom line it's gone. Hopefully you did a backup of your eeprom as is reccomended; otherwise you may have some difficulty restoring that completely.

There is another whole thread that will help you with this:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/334171

I've never heard of it happening from a Microsoft sanctioned update... Unless you had already made some progress towards the mod beforehand; and then yes, you would be causing potential harm.

If you're putting this into a completely unmodded, unaltered XBox; it is standard procedure for MS to update it through the disc. This is nothing unusual, and is the normal function of the software.

Anyways; please check the linked thread; it should be able to help you try and rescue your system from certain doom.

9. YuCKonIT

YuCKonIT Member

Thanks , but all the thread said to do was rerun the game save exploit. Only problem is, i think when I installed Unleash X, after i had allready had evoX, it deleted everything. INCLUDING THE GAME SAVES! Now, without being able to get to my dashboard, i cant do the exploit again, b/c i cant save the saves to my hdd. Im out of luck arent I?

10. handsom

handsom Regular member

So; just to make sure I have this clearly; can you run regular games from their native DVD's, and can you run software that you have written to a cd yourself?

If you can at least run an xbox game by turning the system on with the disc already inside, I will be able to assist you very well.

11. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

12. handsom

handsom Regular member

Well; that is one solution; however, if he can at least load software in the first place from an inserted disc; there is a much much MUCH easier way to fix his problem.

Please let me know what your status is; so that I will know if you need more assistance.

13. supamikel

supamikel Guest

if ypu bought that one map pack disc an update would be included

14. handsom

handsom Regular member

Um; after reading most of this, it's safe to say that we're currently past that particular issue; but thank you for suggesting another title with the update. That much is helpful.

15. YuCKonIT

YuCKonIT Member

@ handsom

Yes, I can run games if it is already in the box when i turn it on...
    so u can help? ahhh thanks!

btw the update thing on the map pack disc and/or halo2 doesnt work... tried it..

thanks again btw

16. YuCKonIT

YuCKonIT Member

ahhhh!! i need help quick... im really considering the hotswapping thing... only problem is... the thread that thereturn mentioned has a link to the original ms dash... its not complete... or doesnt appear to be...

any other way to fix my problem would be appreciated

my details are as follows:

i DO NOT have a dvd-r burner... so i cant put slayers or anything like that on a disc that my xbox would recognize...

HERES EXACTLY WHAT I DID...

b/c i didnt state in this thread...

i modded my xbox using softmod installer deluxe 2.0 and splinter cell... i backed up everything as it said to do... and installed evolution x dashboard... when i wanted to mod my halo maps, i was told to save halo 2 to my hdd. There wasnt enough room to do that by saving the WHOLE game... and some forums said do save everything EXCEPT the campaign maps... evox wouldnt play the game if i did that... so i tried installing unleash x ( which came in the softmod installer package)... when i did that... unleash x wouldnt ever let my go back to my ms dash like it was supposed to... leading me to the coclusion that it had deleted my backups... i went into the harddrive and clicked (if i remember correctly) xboxdash.xbe? it made my screen go black... i tunned off the xbox and turned it back on.. only to find the error 13.

Evrything from that point on i have already mentioned in earlier replies to this thread...

so, handsom, if u can still help... im waiting...

if not im gonna have to hotswap... so i link to a download of the ENTIRE ms dash would be appreciated if that has to be the only solution...

any help at all is apprectiated

-YuCKonIT-

17. handsom

handsom Regular member

If you use mechassault, agent under fire, or splinter cell; you should be able to install evox dash temporarily then use the AID 3.0 disc to return your MS Dash to normal state; or at least a more desirable alternative; such as XBMC. But once you have a dashboard that will FTP (Most will) you can upload the MS Dash back to your system, and if you like; you can even restore that as the default.

AID 3.0 can be found frequently on IRC or through torrents. I won't post a link, but from the fact that you got 2.0; I'm sure you know where to look. Once you have it; you can use it to restore the MS Dash.

Also; what version is your XBox? If it's before a 1.6, this will be even easier. If it's not; there will be a couple extra steps to be sure this is done 100% CORRECTLY. I want to make sure we fix this down to a tee for you, I don't want to see you left with a partially fixed unit.

If you can do the softmod again, and install Evox; things will become easier, then use AID 3.0 to get better access to other dashboards, etc. And some ftp support; so that you can FTP in a replacement copy of your MS Dash; for posterity and functionality.

If you need further assistance, please request it as you need it; and I will be glad to assist.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  18. YuCKonIT

YuCKonIT Member

OK... sounds good... EXCEPT... when i try to load the game save exploits again... the save isnt there... i think it mayb e deleted for some reason... and i cant put it back b/c i cant copy the saves from my mem. card to my hard disc b/c u have to be able to get to ur dash for that...

all in all... the saves arent there anymore... theyre on my mem. card... but apparently not my hdd.

thanks again for all the help