1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading HD on Softmodded Xbox Tutorial

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jonbtrini, Jun 22, 2005.

1. TB32

TB32 Member

hey think I post my problem here ... i've softmodded my xbox (i think 1.6, the serial number is pretty new ...) with splinter cell and stuff like this tutorial was saying (i didn't install XBMC and i installed evo-x instead of unleashX) ...

so now i wanted to upgrade the hdd ... i have an old 80gb maxtor (compatibility list says everything is okay and the hdd is lockable) which i wanted to use for that. now i've was using xboxhdm 1.9 and the desired evo-x files on my ybox to make the boot cd ... then made everything with xboxhdm to prepare the hdd like said in this tutorial (like the first method from the link from Heimdall) ... found this also somewhere else in the net with same descriptions ... but when i replace the retail hdd with the bigger one and start the box its displays error code 13 ... i've tried it also with unleashX: the same ... dunno what I'm doing wrong ... or is it just don't working??? any ideas????

2. footbal95

footbal95 Member

3. TB32

TB32 Member

but when install the original MS dash will it work with the larger hdd??? i don't think so ...

4. footbal95

footbal95 Member

ya then just do that and then reinstall your softmod thats what I had to do. When i installed the larger drive it would only boot to the ms dash and i had to reinstall Unleash X. Let me know if this works. TTYL

Mike

5. TB32

TB32 Member

How does this work??? I got FIFA 07 here but when I insert the disk it displays error code 21 ...

6. footbal95

footbal95 Member

Ok try this put your original HDD back in with the Microsoft Dash and play the fifa game or maybe even try to connect to xbox live. Then follow the tutorial on the first page of this thread and see if that works. I also used an 80 GB hdd and had no problems. Make sure you follow it word for word if something doesn't work along the way post it here and I'll try to help ya

7. TB32

TB32 Member

with original you mean the xbox HDD or the 80gig hdd???

i now try to apply the original xbox ms dash from this thread (somewhere in the middle of the first post) to the xbox with xboxhdm ... if that works i try to apply the softmod again ... 2nd try will be applying unleashx and the ms dash to the hdd with xboxhdm ... i tell you what is working or not ...

edit: so the first thing didn't work out ... same error code 13 ... with the second one ... which files do i have to put in the c folder of xboxhdm so that i have the ms dash and unleashx/evox on it?? ...

i've done the whole tutorial step by step like the first post says when i started ... i think some kind of data is missing when the xbox starts up or something with locking the hdd / the eeprom is not working ...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  8. footbal95

footbal95 Member

Ok go here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/218495 and soft mod your original hdd with evox the come back to the beginning of this thread and finish the job follow everything EXACTLY if you get stuck post a message and ill try to help

Ok when you put the files in the C folder just put the files not the folder so when you look at the xboxhdm folder it should be xboxhdm/linux/c/(your files) you might have it as xboxhdm/linux/c/c/(your files). which then it wont work.

But ya reinstall the ms dash on your original hdd and update it on the original hdd boot into evox and do the restore msdash option. then boot with that hdd and update it. then retry. let me know it this works.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  9. slaeyer

slaeyer Regular member

Just my $0.02 here but it sounds to me as if you have a corrupted C image. Likely you did a wonderful job softmodding your drive the first time but you didn't copy the right C partition files to the xboxhdm disc. Remember, Evo-X uses a shadowed C partition to pretend it isn't modded - to supposedly trick xbox live. Either copy the true C partition from your original xbox drive and try again or use this blank unmodded image I found on divshare - http://www.divshare.com/download/139810-31a - you'll hafta reapply all soft-mods if you use this image but it is up to date and should work fine for all xbox variants to my knowledge.

Happy Hacking,

<-=SlaeYer=->

10. TB32

TB32 Member

okay thanks guys ... give me some time to apply all your methods ... thank you already for your great support ... i post when i have a result.

EDIT so the divshare image showed at first an error 16. It means something with the clock. I inserted the original softmodded hdd in, waited to boot and then shut it down so the clock is set internally. after inserting the upgraded hdd it shows again error code 13 or 21 when a game is inserted.

when i try to play over xbox live with fifa 07 i have to build a new account in xbox live for which he wants to switch back to the ms dash which ends up in a error 21.

i think on my original softmodded hdd is no ms dash ... i can't see it somewhere when ftp'ing on it ... when i erase everything on c and apply the divshare image on c would that work to have a original hdd (without softmods, of course)???

so everything i've done so far shows an error 13 with no game inserted and 21 with game inserted (no matter which game, tried with splinter cell and fifa ...)

when the eeprom is not correct or something would it then show this mistake (error 13)??? i mean the locking procedure and all works fine ... but could there be the mistake???

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  11. footbal95

footbal95 Member

when you installed the softmod on your original hdd you should have backed up the MS dash, also ya you need to go back to the original ms dash to connect to xbox live, your are not allowed to connect with a modded xbox. look at this vid at 2:30 is this what your softmod installer looks like? you should have done the create ms backup originally. if you did not do that i could email you the ms dash files im not sure if they are universal but its worth a try. follow that video to resoft mod your original hdd. let me know if this works

12. Jermzone

Jermzone Member

I've softmodded a few xboxs now and done them all with hard drive upgrades using xboxhdm. I have run into 3 incompatible hard drives now by Maxtor and it's a huge waste of money (the comptibility list shows more people with it working then not working). So my question is, am I just hosed and unable to use the hard drives? Or is there another locking option I can try before giving up on trying to lock the hard drive?

13. TB32

TB32 Member

I had backuped it but after the installation i couldn't find it on the hdd ... strange but it didn't matter to me back then ...

and though i don't have an xbox live account (where can i get one now for free? are there any of these buzzing around the net???) i didn't care about this one, too.

14. slaeyer

slaeyer Regular member

Here's a trick worth trying, worked for me a time or two. Connect original drive as primary master, new drive as secondary in your pc, boot the xboxhdm disc but don't do the normal cd restore, instead opt to clone the original drive and see where that leaves you. I forget the exact options where you can do this but it's there somewhere (working from memory here, sorry).

Edit - This will take a long VERY time and there is no status indicator during use, just pray that it works without error. You may have to remove gamesaves and other tdata / udata before everything just works right. You can always copy them again if you find you need something.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  15. TB32

TB32 Member

I'll give that a try tomorrow ...

16. Jermzone

Jermzone Member

That's an interesting idea... I'll try it! Any other suggestions from anyone?

17. footbal95

footbal95 Member

ok your locking problem can be fixed by going here http://thestauths.com/xbox.pdf and looking under the hot swap. Pretty much dont plug your hdd in until the xboxhdm boots but be VERY CAREFUL when plugging it in go fast and make sure your right on other wise your might get a short and fry the hdd. your might be able to do it with the ide cable though, but when i did mine i waited to plug in the power cable. or if you have a different computer you could try it on that some computer bios' will cause the hdd to be frozen

18. whitore1

whitore1 Member

Based on what I've seen, I don't think that's a great idea. It's somewhat unsafe and unnecessary. The BIOS shouldn't lock up because of the detected fatx hard drive. Especially if you have the BIOS set to boot from the cd.

I've tried two Maxtor drives, the first one, a 40 gig drive, would not lock. I attempted to run configmagic on it, but that did not help. I also tried to drive-swap in an active xbox, which did not work. So, the trade-off is a little clearer. With a mod chip, it wouldn't matter.

The second drive I tried was another Maxtor. It's a 150 gig (Supposed to be 160) and xboxhdm had no trouble locking it. It's now working great.

If you really want to be safe, just look up on the compatibility list (http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list) and buy a cheap drive off ebay. Another thing to double-check is that the jumpers are set to cable select (cs) and that your bios is detecting both the hard drive and the cdrom drive. It's stupid mistakes like that which often cause the biggest problems.

19. whitore1

whitore1 Member

Did you copy your eeprom.bin file onto your cd? Did you copy the new dashboard files to C? Are you using xboxhdm 1.9? Did you use options 1 (install fresh xbox drive) then 6 (generate HD key)? If you answered yes to all them, your best bet is to look up those drives again and see what program other people used to lock their drives. One thing that you should keep in mind is that some people on that list have mod chips and lock their drives to play on xboxlive. If they used xboxhdm to lock it, you should be good.

20. Jermzone

Jermzone Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I know the CD has everything on it that is needed, and the hard drive isn't frozen, and i'm using xhdm1.9. It goes through the entire process and copies all of the files it needs... and then when it comes time to lock the drive it says it's incompatible. Before I bought this hard drive on eBay I checked the compatibility list and only a few people were unable to lock theirs... could be a modchip issue. How do I lock it using configmagic? I noticed that some people locked theirs using that method.