1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installing new dvd drive

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by cziembo, Feb 1, 2007.

1. cziembo

cziembo Member

boy, am I frustrated. I bought a new lite-on LH-18A1P to replace an existing TS-H552B which is burning erratically---sometimes great quality per Nero and sometimes zero quality. I took out the old and in with the new. however, when I try to decrypt with dvdfab I see: "Get DVD information fail 4096." In both dvd decrypter and dvdfab it recoginses the drive and even tells me the name of the dvd to be decrypted. however, when it goes to actually read the dvd, nothing. fails. I have checked everything I can think of, uninstall, re-install, uninstall nero, etc. Even changed the jumper settings to master, slave, etc. no go. Put back in my old TS-H552B and it works fine. I am stumped. I went to lite-on site and found literally no help at all. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I thought one could do just like I did as a last resort---put it in and it automatically recogises it. device manager recognises the new dvd burner, etc. the only thing is that it will not read a disk or probably write, I guess. Is there some setting or something I am forgetting to do when I install a new dvd burner?? How can my computer tell me the name, etc. of the E: drive, but the darn thing does not work? But I throw the old one back in and it works like a charm? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. ireland

ireland Active member

GO HERE TO LEARN HOW TO INSTALL A DVD WRITER
    Install CD Burner, Installing a CD Writer or DVD player/burner
    http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/installing_cd_recorder.htm

To install your cd burner you will need:

* Compatible CD Recorder or DVD drive (IDE).
    * 4 securing screws (supplied with your CD Recorder / DVD Writer).
    * Cross-point (Philips) Screwdriver suitable for your PC case.
    * IDE Cable (if required).
    * Anti-Static Wrist-strap (if available).

Disconnect the power and remove your PC's cover, see our guide.
    The first step (after removing the case covers) is to remove the "blank" plastic front from the position in which you want to install the cd writer (fig 1.1), if you have a CD-ROM drive installed then if possible leave a gap in-between the CD-ROM and the CD-WRITER, this will enable a sufficient amount of air to flow between the two drives.

If you have trouble removing the "blank" you can use a flat ended screwdriver to ease the blank out, taking care not to damage the case.
    [​IMG]
    LOOK AT HOW THE JUMPER IS'S SET ON YOUR OLD DRIVE,CABLE SELECT,MASTER OR SLAVE

rive will be in the IDE configuration, some CD Writers work best when they are the master, others work fine regardless, always consult the manufacturers instructions that came with your CD Writer.

There are 3 options, Cable Select, Slave, and Master.

Selection is done by means of a jumper, the option you choose will depend on your system set-up.

* Master should be selected if this will be the only device on a single IDE cable, or, if it is the second device to be connected and the other device is set to slave.
    * Slave should be selected if this will be the second device on a singe IDE cable, for instance, if you do not already have a CD-ROM drive then you could attach the new device to the same IDE cable as your hard drive (where your hard drive will be the master).
    * Cable Select should be selected only when the devices are to be attached as the cable depicts, ie, the first connector (working away from the motherboard) is the slave and the last connector is the master device.
    [​IMG]
    In fig 1.3 to the right you can see a standard IDE Cable, note there are 3 connections (notice the difference in distance between the connectors), connection A plugs into the motherboard and then the slave and master connections are used for IDE devices such as hard drives, CD-ROM Drives and CD Writers.

If you need to attach a second IDE cable refer to your motherboard's manual.

Connecting the cables

The next step is to attach the IDE and power cables (fig 1.6)
    [​IMG]
    The power cable (fig 1.7)
    [​IMG]
    will only fit one way, so you won't put it in the wrong way round, but as a guide the red wire should go to 5v.

The IDE cable will be marked down one side with a red or black strip, this denotes Pin 1, match this with the Pin 1 indicator on the back of the device, further, some IDE cables have a blank in one hole to stop you inserting it in incorrectly.

If you would like to attach an audio cable to the device follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Finishing the Installation

Double check all connections and make sure the device is set correctly as master or slave.

You may wish to test the device is correctly installed before replacing the covers, but it is advisable to replace the covers before reconnecting the mains.

When you reboot your machine the bios should automatically detect the new drive, and then when you get to the windows screen, go to My Computer and you should see your new drive there. The letter assigned to the drive will depend on your machine's configuration.

Next follow the manufacturer's instructions to install your CD Writer software, we will shortly be publishing a course for Nero® burning software which you will find in the courses section.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  3. cziembo

cziembo Member

Thanks for the guide Ireland. I printed it out for future reference. However, I again tried to install this Lite-on LH-18A1P today. No go. It recognises the drive and even the model number of it in device manager and even in dvdfab and dvd decrypter. It just will not read or write dvds. When I put the old TS-H552B back in, just the same way, it recognises it too and it will both read and write. I have tried all three configurations of the jumper, but in device manager on both old and new drives, it is the master and the cd-rom the slave. I am at my wits end here. I do not understand why my machine will recognise and utilise my Samsung but not the new Lite-on. Anything else I can try or should I just throw the thing out with the wash water and leave the old, problematical Samsung in the drive bay?