1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning .AVI with nero 7 to dvd+r dl discs-Help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DeAdGrEy, Feb 21, 2007.

1. DeAdGrEy

DeAdGrEy Member

Ok, i have updated my firmware, have purchased verbatim media, and last night tried to burn 2 avi files to a dl with nero 7 3.5.2.1 .
    it looked as if it was going to work but when i got up this morning the burning process had went nowhere. it was still how it was when i left it last night. I do know i had files that put it right up to the 8gb mark but am not sure if this matters. I could really use some help.

2. 56delray

56delray Regular member

First, it should not take more than an hour to burn at the slowest of speeds.

What are you trying to do. A standalone DVD player will not play AVI files.

Post your Nero log.
    c:\program files\ahead\nero\nerohistory.log but DO NOT post your serial number which usually begins with '1A21' or similar.

3. DeAdGrEy

DeAdGrEy Member

ok well i figured it, they just didn't want to burn because both movies on the same dvd were to big by a tad. Soooo what i could really stand to learn now is this, is there any progs that can be used to reduce or compress the size of a a video file so that it still plays well but can be more easily fit on the dvd?

4. 56delray

56delray Regular member

5. DeAdGrEy

DeAdGrEy Member

ok so i have that prg, but i have never used it, could you maybe go into a lil detail about it? btw , thank you for all this help, i sincerely appreciate it

6. 56delray

56delray Regular member

7. DeAdGrEy

DeAdGrEy Member

ok so yea, see? i really need to find something i do this with on .avi files. i mean, if i download a file from a p2p that is a part 1 of a movie, its always usually under 200mb.'s and i can burn 4 clips to a single layer dvd and those files are always mpg or .avi, usually .avi's. so how do they do that?

8. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Try Nero Recode.
    AVI file compression depends on the codec used
    Google AVI MPEG compression

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  9. DeAdGrEy

DeAdGrEy Member

ok, i'll do that now, nero recode i presume re-compresses a file?

10. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

OK lets get this thread sorted out.

Not correct there are SOME that will.

Take a look at this basic guide on how I burn my AVI files using NeroVision, theres a more comprehensive guide by alkohol in my sig.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/356114/2104525

The version of Nero you are using is a "buggy" version. Uninstall, run this clean tool, http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero7_CleanTool.html and then install a later version, I recommend 7.5.9.0 available here

http://www.filehippo.com/download_nero_7_premium/?1881

If your AVI file is around 700mb (normal length movie) then it SHOULD fit onto a DVD5.

Normal completion time from transcoding to burning can take UP to 2 hours

Neither Nero Recode or DVD Shrink will handle AVI files.

11. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Not many have one.

12. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@56delray, Most of the information you have posted is in fact incorrect..please make sure of your facts before posting as it can be very misleading.

13. DeAdGrEy

DeAdGrEy Member

gwendolin, thank you for the links. I wanted to say that my main reason for starting the thread was because there were none that i could find that were specific to just nero and avi's with concerns to burning onto dual layer dvds. I infact had to start trying to learn how to burn dl's because movies i was downloading were turning out to be to big for a single disc when opened in nero to burn. the file would say it was like 400-700 mb.'s but when opened in nero would expand to a full disc sometimes for burning, This is something that i would deffinately like to have explained to me.

I have read in other threads about you and have also read some of your posts, so i do know that you are known for your working knowledge of nero. as for the version of nero i have,i did download updates to it and i was succesful in burning a dl if i didn't try cramming it right up to the 8 gb. mark, but there in lies the problem i am faced with now. I was only trying to put 2 movies on the disc, both being approx. 700 mb.'s in file size yet when opened for burning in nero, each expands to over the 4 gb. mark. hence my last couple of posts in this thread to learn how to possibly reduce the files size if it were possible since i have no understanding of why the movies expand from a file size 700 mb. to over the 4 gb mark. If you could please help i would be ever so grateful.

the other gentleman was a bit helpful, but well, I knew he didn't know all the facts when he said avi's don't play in stand alones because I havea cheap $30 dollor dvd player from wal-mart that has played every single layer dvd i have burned.( it's a symphonic by the way.) But I do thank him For his assistance anyways as he did help to give me idea's.

But here are the 2 things i would like to know if possible please? Why do the files expand in nero? And if they can't be stopped from expanding, then is there a program that works for avi's in reducing there size? whether it be through a different compression of through some kind of lossy editor type program? I thank you for any information you can give me and apologize for the novel i have left for you guys to read.

14. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

You will find that a normal movie of around 2 hours in duration will be about 700/750mb AVI files, which as you know, when converted will become around 4+ Gb...I have never had any problems fitting them onto a standard DVD5....if it's too big then Nero normally warns me and advises quality may be reduced...no problems there as I have NOT noticed any quality reduction.

I wouldnt recommend trying to fit 2 movies onto a DVD9...I think you'll strike problems more often than not.

Go to the guides tab at the top of the page, go to DVDR: Copy DVD to DVDR and check out some of the guides there.

These are for movies that are already written to disc.