1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Help Help! I've tried everything - MTR & DVD2OneX - trying to rip Blades of Glory

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by kelbelle2, Aug 30, 2007.

1. kelbelle2

kelbelle2 Guest

Sigh...I am not a newbie with these programs but I just can't seem to get a few DVDs to Rip or compress right. I just read the thread for Saw3 and I was thinking that there was some hope there, but that still didn't work for me.

This is my issue:

After many attempts of ripping the movie with the full movie, just the movie mode and both in accros (sp) I had errors (but the rip did complete). Now this is usually fine when I compress it with DVD2OneX, but it will not fully compress and stops around 30%.

Sooo...I gave the "Saw3" way a whirl. I ripped it with MTR - just track 8 - main feature. And while that still had errors, it completed. Now when I'm compressing it with DVD2OneX (not the tracks with zero)it says it's going to take 12 hours. So I actually let it run last night, and 8 hours later it was at 8%. This just can't be right! It doesn't seem to be moving at all.

I've done everything else I can think of. The disc is new and clean. My MTR is set up correctly. I've let the movie play for a couple of minutes...I know the routine! What else can I possibly do? There have been a few movies in the past few months that I just couldn't rip/compress but I just decided to not care...now it's bothering me! lol

If anyone has ANY other suggestions I would really appreciate it!

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  3. kelbelle2

kelbelle2 Guest

Thanks but I'm pretty sure the programs are all for PCs. I'm using a Mac.

4. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

I assume you are using MTR 3, and DVD2One version 2.1.3, both the latest versions.
    Ok - so you get a full disc rip with MTR. DVD2One reads the MTR file. You then seem to indicate that it's not so much with the extraction, but the compression. So....
    why not go into Cells tab/Layers, and, if it is in two layers, extract each separately; or in Chapers, extract the first half of the Chapters, (and then the second half) and see if you get a successful extraction at least, since compression won't be necessary.
    If so, you have 2 choices : burn each separately to a disc (at least you've got it, even if it is in a kind of part A, part B form.)
    Or : now open each extracted part again in DVD2One, and use the custom settings to compress each separately by the same percentage, so that the Output length for both adds up to less that 4.33GB. Then use the Join function of DVD2One to join the compressed files together, and again, since you have made sure their combined length is less than 4.33, it won't try to compress.
    If you try this, I'd be interested to hear how it goes. If it doesn't work, I'll borrow the disc from a friend and have a go myself to see if I get the same problem and why it's happening.

5. kelbelle2

kelbelle2 Guest

I'm actually not using MTR 3 yet, but I am using the latest version of DVD2OneX.

I just had a weird thought. Maybe it is the actual ripping of MTR. I tried playing the rip last night which is around 4.3 - so really it can just be burned, and it wouldn't play at all.

lol that's a whole different spin on this now. Why oh why wouldn't that work? I got a few errors that needed to be okayed but then it went through...no different than other movies.

Maybe someone else has had THIS problem!?!?

6. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

Sorry, but no it doesn't.
    Firstly, an MTR rip won't play with DVDPlayer unless the folder that you rip it to also has a AUDIO_TS folder as well as the VIDEO_TS folder- some of the earlier versions of MTR didn't also create the AUDIO_TS folder- does the folder you ripped it to have BOTH files?
    , and secondly, when you tried to play it, did you Choose the VIDEO_TS folder...or did you keep going and open that till the actual vob files were listed and THEN Choose. The player won't recognise the VIDEO_TS folder per se as valid.
    Thirdly, I've had rips that won't play but when put through DVD2One, extracting the movie, they do.
    Whatever, DVD2One will extract even if the AUDIO_TS folder isn't present. So you're back to again going through the process I've suggested. You have to approach this logically and separate out the two components: is it an extraction problem, or a compression problem? - If you can get out a successful extraction the way I've suggested, then the first possibility is out; and then if they can be compressed separately in CUSTOM mode, the second possibillity is out; which leaves something going wrong when you try to actually compress in automatic mode, which then suggests some of your preferences, or settings are out and need correcting. The ball is in your court.

7. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

I have to add, you're not clear in the info you're passing on - you say the MTR file won't play - then you say there were some errors (WHAT errors did you correct ...with MTR?, with the DVDPlayer?? - that would give us some idea what you're doing with this software....and then you say, 'it went through' - what does that mean?? that it then played ok????

8. kelbelle2

kelbelle2 Guest

Ok, this is easier now that I'm not at work and I can actaully describe what's happening.

I used MTR and went through the Full Disc Extraction and I get the "Dummy VOB Warning...deliberate bad sectors" So I Pad the Vob. Nothing new, this happens frequently. Now the rip is complete but with Bad sectors.

Normally I would try doing the full disc copy with DVD2OneX first, when this happens, even though it usually won't work. So, when trying this I get "error adjusting the IFO file. It does not march with the VOB file" and the movie stops compressing around 80%. Next I normally do just the movie copy mode and everything usually works, but this doesn't. While in this mode it doesn't give me the choice to select all the chapters, etc like it would usually do. When trying to select them manually the compression runs for 3 seconds, and finishes with about 30mb of a VIDEO_TS file.

In the past when this has happened I would use the accros method of MTR and everything would be fine.

So, that's where I am. This is when I tried the Saw3 method and had no luck.

9. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

Ah, so it's arising because of a dummy vobs problem.
    1. Open the MTR full disc rip down to the list of vob files. Can you see one labelled vob, but without the usual number ie VIDEO_TS. vob instead of VIDEO_TS.vob 1.0.1 etc. If so, do a Get Info, and see if it says zero kb. If so, drag into the Trash and then use DVD2One. (I had one like that recently).
    If you don't find one...
    2. You're saying, it happens while it's compressing eg "it stops compressing round about 80%". But as I understand, it is reading and extracting a chunk of the file, then compressing it and saving to file, then reading the next chunk etc etc. It isn't extracting the file it wants, then starting to compress and stalls when 80% of the compression is done. That is, I still think this is an extraction problem. One way to settle that: open the MTR file with DVD2One for Full Disc extraction, then Choose Settings from the list along the left hand side, and change Output to DL (dual layer). That will stop any compression occurring because DVD2One thinks it has 8.6GB of disc space now, and allow you to see if it will successfuly extract. (You could also do this in Movie only mode). I think it will still balk because it is an extraction problem because of the dummy vobs.
    3. In Full Disc mode, Choose Cells (left hand side) and then Chapters (drop down menu, bottom right) and see if any Chapters are listed as zero mb. Check the boxes for only Chapters that aren't zero and proceed. (Try this Choosing Cells also from the drop down menu and see if at that level it better detects empty spaces.)
    I'm really interested in the outcome of 2 above because if you can extract successfully, there are other programs can be used for compression. At this point, getting a successful extraction is the aim.

10. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

Oh, and MTR 3 was upgraded to that from 2.6.6 ESPECIALLY to handle the dummy vob problem, so before doing any of the above, download and start using it.

11. kelbelle2

kelbelle2 Guest

Ok, first things first...for some reason I can't get a working file for MTR3. I downloaded the .sitx file and there is nothing there. I also tried another download from a different site but none of the torrent programs would open that either (the file needed a torrent program to open it).

I'm currently using Mac OS 10.3.9 - does this matter?

12. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

I haven't got a torrent program - it opened automatically because I have Stuffit. Do you have a copy of this/ (the expander part is free). The new version, 11.0.2, available from a few sites, only works with OS 10.4. I couldn't find any sites still readily downloading an earlier version for OS 10.3.9...but

http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/updates.html

You send off an email and they send you back details how to download an earlier version.

You're having a hellavalot of frustration with all of this, but stick in there. At least so far, it ain't cost a penny.

13. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

Can you private me with the name of the movie you're working on and I'll have a hands-on go at it here myself so I can see what's happening. You might like to enable your profile to be able to accept privte messages.

14. kelbelle2

kelbelle2 Guest

I don't know why it's not working - I have stuffit...I'm just wondering if MTR3 needs to be run on 10.4? When my stuffit "unstuffs" the file there is nothing there. lol I'm just having no luck at all.

:0) the name of the movie is in the name of the thread.

My friend with a PC is going to give it a whirl and see if he has any problems...it always seems to be a mac thing.

15. staytrue

staytrue Member

I figured it out!!! finally after reasearch...

1. get MTR3.0 R14-d
    2. Rip Mode- Main feature only
    3. once in main feature only, mtr3.0 lets you choose the files
    4. click TITLE1 approx 1hr 33min long
    5. Press GO!
    6. After the burn, MTR automatically fixes the VOB's and re finishes it
    7. put it in your dvd player and press PLAY! works like normal for me..

Good Luck everyone... i'm gonna try it with another dvd with the same problem (the Prestige)

Hope i helped.

16. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

Whether MTR does or doesn't open and operate on your OS, you should be able to open it and get a file, not a zero zilch folder - when you clicked on it, then perhaps, it wouldn't run.
    I've just experimented to make sure - I sent the MTR 3 file to my other email, opened it, and there it is, so.......private me with your email address and I'll email it as an attachment. See if you can get a copy that way!!!!

17. terryxpre

terryxpre Member