1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

INCD 5 CDRW write error - Win XP Pro NERO 7 ULTRA

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by spearthro, Jan 12, 2008.

1. spearthro

spearthro Member

When I insert an INCD disc, the INCD icon in the sys tray changes correctly, and Windows Explorer opens to display the contents on the disc. It doesn’t matter if it’s an older INCD disc, or one NEWLY FORMATTED (successfully), with any of the 3 different drives mentioned here, we get this far without problems. I can copy FROM the INCD disc to my hard drive without problems; but INCD will NOT write TO any CDRW disc, whether I simply right click to perhaps add a new folder to the disc, or copy a file from my hard drive to the disc, I get the SAME ERROR every time. An information box opens over the INCD icon on the systray, saying the following: “ INCD error on drive (X)”
    “INCD had to retry a write operation”. The computer is now essentially frozen; I cannot eject the CDRW from the drive, and IF I get to open Windows Task Manager, and end Explorer or INCD, I have to power down, and restart.

I have had another computer running XP Home with Nero 7 Ultra and INCD 5.5.0.5 for a few years now, without problems.

I am running XP Pro on a HP D530, Nero 7 Ultra with INCD 5.5.0.5
    Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ 2 GB RAM
    Motherboard HP 085CH
    BIOS HP 786B2 V 2.43
    HDD’s IDE 0 Master Maxtor 6Y120PO 120GB
    Slave Seagate ST3320620A 320GB
    I tried 3 different DVD drives (new) to try to isolate this problem.
    Benq DVD DD DW1640 Firmware version BSHB
    Benq DVD DD DW1640 Firmware version BSRB (different drive from above, latest version).
    LG HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GSA-H22N Firmware version 1.02 (latest version)

In BIOS, “ Max UDMA” is selected.
    Tried Ultra DMA 2 also
    Because at first I had 2 drives installed, I tried various combinations of Master, Slave, Cable Select etc. ( 80 conductor cable used, changed with new one, etc), and now am using just one drive to try to solve this thing.
    Power to the drives was checked with a digital meter…all good.
    Various discs tried…..TDK High Speed 8X to 12X CDRW, an older Memorex 4X CDRW that my Win XP HOME machine still happily uses; none can be written TO.
    I have tried all the media I have.....and ALL work on the XP HOME computer. None work on the XP PRO SP2 machine.
    TDK high speed CDRW
    Memorex
    Maxel
    Sony

It doesn't vary as to how fast it fails; it is immediately...it doesn't seem to even start to write.
    The above discs work very well when I make a data CD using Nero Burning Rom.

Please Note; DVD (for example, TDK DVD + RW 4X ) CAN BE WRITTEN TO.
    It seems to be only CDRW that fail.

I have no system ASPI installed.
    Nero Info tool says its ASPI is installed and working properly.
    Windows IMAPI service is DISABLED.
    I don’t have any other packet writing software installed.

I have uninstalled Nero 7 Ultra, and ran Nero's Cleantool, driver cleantools, and registry checker; then re-installed the program (no anti-virus running, etc), and the error is exactly the same as stated above.

I am at a loss as to what to try next, so I will be very grateful for any help to correct this problem. I have used INCD for several years now, and while earlier versions gave me a LOT of trouble, this one has been very good, and I still find packet writing to be very handy to use. I feel there must be some setting in Windows XP PRO that is causing this? Does anyone know how to interpret INCD error logs? Thanks to all who take the time to plow through all this!!

2. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Post a history log for Nero.

3. spearthro

spearthro Member

Thanks for your reply.
    I am not sure what you mean by "nero history"...in the INCD folder I find SrvError.log.....which logs INCD errors....is this the one you mean? I was going to add it here, but it seemed rather long, so I hesitated to do so...if that log would help, I will post it here...thanks!!

4. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  5. spearthro

spearthro Member

I have updated my Nero to version 7.10.1.2, direct from Nero's site. I have burned several discs with it, and I do not have the "nerohistory.log" file in the "core" folder.
    I am not going to pursue this any further, as I don't seem to be getting any responses from other Nero 7 users.

My INCD failure problem has been solved; it was NOT INCD at all, but a bad install of POWER DVD 7.3 that was causing the failure of INCD.

INCD now works on ALL my media, as it has for the past 2 or 3 years...very well!