1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie--want XBMC no games and I have no disks to softmod

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by onlyhis, Jun 25, 2009.

1. onlyhis

onlyhis Member

Hello all.. I have searched the forums and have not come up with anything so here goes...
    I have v1.5 I think xbox and want to run XBMC and stream movies and music and pics from my NAS. I'm in Haiti so I do not have access to any games for an exploit. Is there another way to load linux? Maybe just spring for a modchip? Again I do not have any xbox games... I want it strictly for a media center... Any help? thanks

2. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

You could possibly hotswap in a modded dash but it's a big risk. You need to find one that works the first time or you'll have to keep hotswapping till you find one that works.

There's a bit of risk involved and it's a pain in the ass but i'm sure if you put enough effort into it you'll come out successful.

here's a couple links to get you started hotswapping

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/548462
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/332766

*edit*

Remember to backup the files that you overwrite, so you need to backup both the C and the E partitions.

Here's links to my cheater files, just replace your drive contents with these and it should boot avalaunch. Obviously pick one or the other, don't throw both on the same drive. Start with the 1.4, i think the 1.4 will work on the 1.5 box just as long as the dash isn't moved to e:.

Avalaunch 1.4 Cheater
    Avalaunch 1.6 Cheater

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  3. Demonix90

Demonix90 Guest

Thanks C4RN, I actually needed one of those links.

If your looking to make your Xbox a media center, hardware modding may be more worth while, if you have the money to invest that is. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that with a mod chip, you can save CD/DVD to your hard drive directly. Since you said it's a media center, you might want something better then a 10GB HD. The easiest way to do that is with a mod chip. Get the cheapest one you can find, solderless if your not high in dexerity. If you aren't doing much gaming or loading EMUs, a cheap modchip will do just fine.

4. onlyhis

onlyhis Member

Thank you both very much!! I'll try the hard drive swap... I'll let you know how it goes!!

5. onlyhis

onlyhis Member

Thanks... I dl'd avalaunch... So I don't need ndure or xboxhdm or any of that stuff??

6. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

lol not with this method. I've been modding xbox's since day 1 and i've modded over 100 using these files (i got sick of softmodding each one).

pretty much all you need to do is hotswap and then use xplorer360 to access the c partition, copy the partition to your computer then replace the contents. That's about it. If it doesn't work first try then you'll need to try the other set of files.

After you power down the xbox and turn it back on it should boot avalaunch. Then you can just ftp xbmc over.

I realize this is a pretty odd way to mod but i had to do nearly the same thing modding an xbox with a bad network adaptor and it all worked perfect. Just be careful while hotswapping.

7. onlyhis

onlyhis Member

Thnaks for the info... one other question... Is there a compatible explorer for xbox hard drives that are linux?? Believe it or not I only have linux and mac hardware... no windows...

8. onlyhis

onlyhis Member

Nevermind... I extracted ndure and used xboxhdm.... I wanted to try avalaunch but I have no windows machines for xplorer360 I'm in the middle of the install now... Wish me luck!!

9. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

good luck, you can also use my files as your C and E while using xboxhdm.

10. onlyhis

onlyhis Member

well I got in!!... I have unleasx on.. kinda ugly... I'm going to ftp XBMC... Where would I put the files?? Also if I put them in the directories (FTP) while xbox is running will that cause a problem??

Thanks again for the help!! This was easy after I read a LOT!!
    I can't wait to get my movie collection from my 1TB NAS to this and stream it!! Tired of scratched cd's and encoding and re-burning all the time!!

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

You can indeed use XBMC as a dash, but it has been known to crash and burn and take data with it ie bye bye movies.
    I used to use XBMC as the main dash on a few xboxes and while i didn't lose data that was XBMC's fault, i switched them all to UnleashX. There's a multitude of skins for UnleashX - i use this one now ~ http://www.xbox-skins.net/forums/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=3093

I personally use this version of XBMC now (T3CH) (i use the stable builds) ~ http://217.118.215.116

In the T3CH builds there is an XMBC folder within the rar file, you just FTP that over to E:\Apps (if you're not using XBMC as the main dash). If you want to use it as the main dash you'll have to look thru the readme as i can't remember how you install it (back when i used XBMC as a dash i used to install it via the Auto Installer Deluxe disc so it did all that for you).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  12. onlyhis

onlyhis Member

Thanks Creaky... I have downloaded the newest xbmc from the link... I'm going to try to install tomorrow. I'm using the standard 10GB drive and I want to stream movies from my NAS.. I don't want to store on my xbox HD. I did not see in unleashx where I can do that... I hope there is a way to do that in XBMC. Thats the whole point for me. Someday maybe emus for classic games but now stream movies, maybe some music and I'd like a browser to hit the internet also....

Am I asking too much from this little machine??

Thanks again for the response...
    Onlyhisway

13. creaky

Once XBMC is installed you just need to go to the Video section and create one or more Samba connections to NAS video location(s). Pretty straightforward. You can also 'set content' on said connections and then use video scrapers to basically download and store cover art.
    I use 'cover flow' which looks similar to this ~
    [​IMG]
    though that's an example from the PC version of XBMC so is more detailed than xbox XBMC.

14. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Here's some skins for xbmc, i just ftped them over and rared them. Just read the "read me" file i made and you'll be all set.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SYQU44ZJ

The internet browser for xbox really sucks but it does work, it's called linkbooks and it's on the AID disc.

15. creaky

Cheers, i like the Mediastream skin, a little too laggy on the xbox for me but works fine on the PC (as expected).

16. onlyhis

onlyhis Member

RATS RATS!!! I replaced a dash default.xbe now I can't get into the xbox... it boots to the default dash. I put the shortcut and renamed but I must have done something wrong... I still have my boot disk... Guess its back to the drawing board...
    I can't ftp into the box... RATS!!!