1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking AMD Athlon XP 2000

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kamran, May 13, 2004.

1. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

I have a Asrock K7VM4 Mother board, it has the following spec:
    Processor: Support AMD?Duron/XP Socket 462 Processors @ 333/266/200Mhz F.S.B
    Chipset: North Bridge: VIA?KM400 chipset
    Memory: 2 x 184pins DDR333 slots (up to 2GB)
    IDE: Dual IDE, support Ultra DMA 66/100/133 mode
    Video: Intergated with Unichrome 3D Graphics controller support 64MB Max shared memory
    Audio: 5.1 Channels AC97 audio codec
    Lan: Onboard 10/100Mbps Ethernet controller
    Slots: 1 x AGP8X, 3 x PCI slots, 1 x AMR slot
    Ports: 2x PS/2, 1x Parallel, 1x Serial, 1x VGA, 4x USB2.0, 1x LAN, Audio In/Out, Game Port

I have installed amd athlon xp 2000 on with 256ddr ram and a 80gb hard drive.

I want to know is how to over clock it and how much i can go up to.I have a zorro case with 3 fans one on cpu one on the side and one at the back all of them are switched on. I have a dvd rewriter installed and a dvd rom drive. I don't know how much of this information is relevant but it would be helpful if someone could give me a safe step by step guide on how to over clock it and how fa i can push it?

2. bird1234

bird1234 Member

3. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Tried taht and i have searched the forums still havent got a clue on how to do it

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Can i get a link or the specs on the Zorro chassis? Are those fans stock or brand name?
    2. Are you comfortable with messing with the BIOS?
    3. Your CPU is based of the Palomino core (translation: it doesnt have a lot of OC headroom and gets really hot really fast)
    4. What HSF do you have on the chip? Shims? Thermal grease? :)
    5. What type of RAM do you have (brand name? speed?) What vid card do you have?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  5. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

Bios? You mean that boot screen where you can change settings...if i know what am doing i will do it.
    whats hfs?
    My vid card is on board, i think its the basics ddr ram 266

6. Praetor

1. Don't take this the wrong way or anything but you've gotta be fairly confident with ur PC handling abilities before I would reccomend OCing -- the reason is if you fuhk up, by the time your machine boots up, you may have caused irrevocable damage to multiple components. This essentially translates into something like: "you have to be able to tell if your computer is frying before it starts the boot process and be able to deal with it so that nothing gets poopy"

2. That disclaimer aside, are you certain you want to go through with this?

3. As i originally said, the XP2000 has some headroom for OCing however as it is the case with the rest of the Palomino line, cooling will play a large part of your ability to OC. 100Mhz shouldnt be too hard however 200Mhz will be a tad more difficult

4. To save people some trouble hunting down links:
    MOBO: http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/K7VM4.htm
    PS: Does anyone know if ASRock is actually an arm of ASUS officially or otherwise? I never did figure that out. From the arrangement of the mobo (and the lack of chipset fan) it would seem to be ASUS-like however what's with the funky color?
    PPS: Anyone familiar with the vid. chip? (Unichrome 3D Graphics)

5. IF this mobo of yours is ASUS based which it seems to be then you may have a decent chance of squeezing some extra performance out of it. As it is right now, the XP2000's specs are:

AMD XP2000+ (1.667Ghz)
    266MHz FSB
    12.5x
    1.75V nominal

6. Before you can begin to OC, you need to determine which of the following options are available with your mobo and/or which route you wish to take:
    - Jacking the main multiplier from 12.5x to 13.0 or 13.5
    - Jacking the FSB up

7. You probably wont have to worry about unstable AGP port because you are using the integrated graphics however you will still have to worry about PCI/Memory speed if you do decide to take thr FSB route. Most mobos dont like going above 37Mhz for the PCI speed.

8. Your maximum CPU temp is 90°C and you need to test the CPU under heavy load after the OC for heat stress. If you are running stock cooling, it may not be enough. Visit the http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/81431 thread for suggestions on cooling. BTW HSF = heatsink-fan (i.e., the fan on your CPU).

9. This thread really should be in http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/83263 but since you're new I'll let that slide. ;-)

7. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

I think i will take it to a local shop and make him do it. What i want to know is wha components i need in your opinion. I dont want them ripping me off. Should i jus put extra fans in or change The HSF to a good company am thinking coolmasters. How should i jack the main multiplier and what is that? How should i jack the fsb and what is that? Whats a mobo? Should i add extra ram? Sorry if am sounding stupid

8. Praetor

9. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

you should look at putting a thermaltake volcano extreme 12 fan in to cool your cpu its rated up to xp 3400 and youve only got xp 2000 but overclocking ramps up cpu temp big style .check out thermaltake.com

10. Moylan

Moylan Member

I have an Athlon 2000, what would be the highest that it can be overclocked, does it only depend on cooling or are there other risks currently running at 1905Mhz
    and an
    temp of at the most 45 degrees

11. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

there are indeed other risks you can overclock your cpu to the point where your system will become unstable so to me if you puter wont work stabily youve gone too far .also you need to take into consideration that at some point your memory depending on what speed ddr your usin will limit your system performance eg your cpu will handle data faster than your memory so you will need to overclock memory or get faster memory or you will not see any difference in system performance (fsb speed).this is not the most techie explanation you could find but i like to keep it simple and what ive explained is basically correct.hope its of some use.

12. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

also i forgot to add that voltage overclocking will reduce the lifespan of your cpu so be carefull.

13. Moylan

Moylan Member

yeah it was unstable at first, when i had it at 2005Mhz
    but when i pulled it down to this speed, it seemed to run ok,and i dont know why, but my fsb is 200, and my ram is 166, but it can do up to 333 so i dunno whats up with that. Also im unsure that i can overclock my ram, because, when i put it up even 33mhz, at boot up it does the "no ram" beeps, and have to reset the bios and stuff,and i havn't used voltage overclock, because i dont really know how to used but thanks for your input

14. Praetor

166 = 333DDR
    .... you said you had an XP2000 .... you managed to OC it to 2005Mhz?? -- most impressive -- might want to be careful :p

15. Hifi311

Hifi311 Member

Actually, I'm about to do a similar OC job. I have my trusty AthlonXP 2000+...which I've bumped upto say...1900 Mhz w/ some weak FSB OC'ing. However, the MSI mobo I have is using 640MB PC133RAM. So as an update I've ordered a SHUTTLE|AN35N-ULTRA motherboard and 512MB of Viking PC2700. Now, my own question comes in here...

The 2000+ has an FSB of 266MHz correct? So, technically the RAM should be PC2100. OR will the PC2700RAM run at full speed? And if the memory doesn't run at full speed, I should be able to ramp up the FSB a bit without the memory complaining right? If so...then that should boost the clock speed on the cpu without too much stress on other components ...riight? I've been OC'ing for a few years now, ...but never really bothered bout the memory. So any insights you fellas have, I'd appreciate as well.

OH...and I'm ditching the stock HSF (with A.S.3) and going with an OCZ GLADIATOR3 HSF ...again with Arctic Silver. Plus 3 case fans + ps fan.

BASICALLY... I want to up the FSB on the cpu if the RAM runs at PC2100 speeds.

Thanks.

16. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

i know this is a strange question to ask an overclocker but why dont you just buy a faster cpu the xp2800 plus is about 90 uk pounds at the moment which is quite affordable.ive always thought of it as this i need a faster cpu ill go buy a faster cpu job done.

17. Praetor

Because (a) what happens if yu already have the slower CPU and (b) why buy the fancy newer CPU which runs on a 333bus when your mobo supports only 266 and (c) why buy the more expensive one when a simple OC will do the trick?

18. Hifi311

Hifi311 Member

In my case, I just bought a nice P4 Toshiba notebook. So that's what i use for actual productivity and whatnot.

So...OC'ing is kind of a learning experience. Plus, I blew $100 on an M-Audio revo 7.1 soundcard, so my budget kinda reached it's limit.

But yeah...Increasing the bus speed and using ram that can take a speed increase just sounds like a good way to go. I've never tried it, so why not :)

So..If i can get a 266Mhz FSB AThlon Xp up to even 300Mhz for instance ...well that's umm

12.5 x 150 = 1875 Mhz ...which is 200Mhz+ more than before...plus faster bus speed. Plus better memory bandwidth...

And i used the extra cash to buy that sound card ;)

19. THEDICE

THEDICE Member

in my case my mother board has 333mhz fsb support so it wouldnt be a prob for me to buy the faser cpu.

20. Hifi311

Hifi311 Member

Well yeah...the Shuttle board I'm getting supports up to 400MHz fsb. So later on, I can get another cpu too. It's just something to play with right now.