1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got a new system with a DVD-R...I could use some help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Burns24, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Burns24

Burns24 Member

Ok, so I just got a new computer with a dvd burner. They gave me a few programs for it. I was able to copy a dvd (Bourne Identity) and it made .VOB and and .IFO files. Question is, what do I do with these files to burn them to a dvd-disc? Also, is there a place where I can get a free program that clones a dvd so that I can burn it too my own disc? I tried looking on download.com, but all they had were crappy ones that would only copy the movie partially.
    Is there a good newbie program out there?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi burns24, Welcome to Afterdawn. You need to do some research and reading on this forum but I will get you pointed in the right direction. On the top of the page click the software tab and download DVDSHrink and DVD Decrypter both free. Then click the tab for guides and read how to use them. Shrink will Rip, decrypt, and compress the dvd movie, then will use decrypter to burn the information back to your blank media. Get that started and then come back if you have more questions.

Jerry

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  3. trexstang

trexstang Guest

im also new to this some what , but u can also use dvdshrink and burn with it if you have nero installed.

4. brian100

brian100 Guest

You can also use DVDdecrypter (free) to burn from files generated with DVDshrink (free) (an updated version of shrink is imminent, that will improve image quality, dramatically)

After you hit "backup" (within shrink) just select the option "(select target device) Iso Disc Image".

This option is a totally free way backing up and burning your privately owned DVD's.

Some other free tools that may be worth investigating are :-

DVDstripper, Vobblanker. I won't go into details here of their advantages. A quick search on google will get you under way.

Hope this helps.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Beware of the flowers, cos I'm sure theyre gonna get you, yeah!" John Otway, Wild Willy Barrett[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2004
  5. trexstang

trexstang Guest

So Brian . i will get better quality by using shrink to create an ISO file rather linking it with nero to burn ...
    if so
    after i use shrink to create the ISO where do i go from there in DECRYPTER?
    christian

6. Burns24

Burns24 Member

When I use Shrink, I get a copyright protection error. What do I do?

7. brian100

brian100 Guest

trexstang

I don;t think the quality will be affected one jot, but I find it (personally) easier to burn with Decypter.

To burn just fire up decrypter then "Mode - Iso - Write", point towards your iso image then off she flies.

Burns24

Try ripping with DVD decrypter or Smartripper, then load these files into Shrink.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Beware of the flowers, cos I'm sure theyre gonna get you, yeah!" John Otway, Wild Willy Barrett[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2004
  8. trexstang

trexstang Guest

do you think there is any diffrence in time and speed using decrypter to burn than shrink??
    christian

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

christian, DVD Shrink can't burn -

BUT I think you're missing the point here -

You've just received a ton of information from my “Bud’s” Jerry & Brian and I can tell by your posts you haven't worked with it -

Time for you to download the programs and READ THE GUIDES !

At the start of this forum there is something that says READ FIRST - I'll bet ya didn't read it, did ya ?

I'll tell you what - I'm going to give you a piece of extremely valuably information, read this thread - you'll learn a ton. When it tells you how to do something, do it - you'll come back with questions when you get stuck -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/79846

It’s now, time for you to roll up your sleeves and try the tools you've been given -

cheers,

Pete

trexstang,

A far more accurate statement is : DVD Shrink cannot burn BUT if you either have on your PC OR if you're going to spend $50.00 (USD) to purchase Nero, DVD Shrink can use Nero to burn. Of course it can use DVD Decrypter to burn too and DVD Decrypter is, let's see, how can I put this so that everyone can understand . . . Well just let me say, it's FREE, it's not $50.00 bucks It's FREE FOREVER, not for 30-days for a trial version but, FOREVER, it's FREE ! !

Sounds like a choice . . . free, . . .50 bucks. Free, . .50 bucks. FREE, . 50 bucks - Hey, I got it - FREE !

It's a no brainer -

Was everyone taking notes ? (kweel)

cheers all,

Pete

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– X[/small]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  10. trexstang

trexstang Guest

lol i agree free is better ... nero is plenty free on the net you just have to look in the rite places ... my copy was free......i have decrypter too... i was just trying to see if there is any diffrence in quality ... i have burned only about 25 dvds so far with dvd shrink -->and nero ... they seem fine to the naked eye but im always looking for the best ;)...

and still the question remains "is there a diffrence in time and quailty using nero or decrypter?
    later
    christian

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

If you have time and DVD's to burn - try these combo's :)

1. DVDShrink (ver. 3.1.7) ISO mode + DVD Decrypter ISO write mode (FREE)

2. DVD Shrink (ver 3.1.7) + Nero (ver 6. OR ver 5.5)

3. DVD Shrink (ver 3.1.7) + CopyToDVD

4. AnyDVD or DVD43 + DVD2One + CopyToDVD

5. AnyDVD or DVD43 + CloneDVD2 (elby)

6. AnyDVD or DVD43 + Nero Recode 2

7. For DVD-5's (FREE)
    DVD Decrypter in the ISO read mode + DVD Decrypter in the ISO write mode

8. For DVD-5’s
    AnyDVD or DVD43 + Nero Express (copy Disc to Disc)

9. DVD XCopy Xpress (ver. 2.5.1, 3.0 and 3.2.1) + 321 Gone (Pre RF versions)

10. DVD Xcopy - Original (ver 1.5.0, 1.5.2) - (Pre RF versions)

11.. DVD Decrypter (File Mode) and DVD Copy 2 (InterVideo) – (Fast)

12. AnyDVD and CloneDVD (.net not elby) (little or no compression, poor)

Most have trial -

Enjoy -

13. trexstang

trexstang Guest

thanks pete i will try those

14. Burns24

Burns24 Member

Ok, so I copied it in Dycrypter, and that made .ISO files. Now what do I do with them? In Shrink when I hit Open Files, it doesnt recognize it as a file it can open. Do I extract the stuff inside the ISO then use shrink?

15. brian100

brian100 Guest

Burns24

You have ripped your title in DVD decrypter using the [bold]mode "iso - read".[/bold] You needed to use the [bold]mode "files".[/bold]
    If you use the mode "files" shrink will have no trouble reading these files.

16. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Open Shrink -> click file -> click Open Disc Image

Or ... Open Shrink -> click CTL+I

17. Burns24

Burns24 Member

Ah great, I got it. Thanks for the help.
    Little question, is there a way to remove the useless stuff from the dvd? Like the bonus features and other stuff like that so that I can have a better quality of the actual movie?

18. trexstang

trexstang Guest

yea you can ... when you are in the program dvd shrink , instead of using the button that says FULL DISK use re author ... i believe thats how you do it .
    christian

19. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

If you re-author using Shrink, you lose the menu function. If you have Nero, use Recode to re-author.

20. brian100

brian100 Guest

If you wish to "strip" the extras BUT retain a working menu you could do some research on the following app's :-

DVD Stripper (free)
    Vobblanker (free)
    DVDremake (not free, but the best)

By using these app's you will be stepping into the dreaded zone of "advanced" user, so tread carefully.