1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080p upcovert question

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by redux79, Sep 17, 2007.

1. redux79

redux79 Regular member

I’m staying away from the whole hd-dvd/blu-ray format war and opting to get a quality 1080p upconvereter. Has anyone noticed problems or quality issues with these, i’m looking for one with hdmi or a good optical decoder that wont lag. Price really isn't an issue, any suggestions or ideas on the best way to integrate this into a home theater setup would be great.

I was wondering will I have a problem with backed up dvd's that have rather high compression? freezing up or choppy picture, i’m not really sure how an upconverter works so advice from some one who owns one would help me a lot.
    -thanks

2. JVC

JVC Active member

I don't have one personally, but everyone that has an Oppo player, loves them. http://www.oppodigital.com/
    I don't have anything yet that uses HDMI.

I've read that they will upconvert a burned dvd, but of course a dvd that's been compressed won't look as good as one that hasn't.

3. redux79

redux79 Regular member

Yah i've been looking at the different Oppo players and they seem like the best way to go, I need a really long hdmi cable though 25 feet or more. The longest one I’ve seen is 25 feet so I’m hoping that will work. I still haven't decided on a TV yet, probably a 50" plasma but this whole hdcp thing is really frustrating. I'm not sure whether to go with the flow or try to avoid this hdcp crap all together.

Most of my backup dvd's are above 70-75% compression and they look really good in progressive scan, I’m just not sure if the missing frames will become more apparent when pushed to 1080p.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

It remains to be seen...........
    Just remember, no matter what your source is, the bigger the tv screen is, the more it shows flaws and imperfections.
    Good luck!

5. redux79

redux79 Regular member

I'm planning on picking up a dual-layer burner soon but I really don't want to have to backup my entire collection again, just have to cross my fingers.

I think my next stop will be in the home theater section, need to see what my audio options are.

Thanks for the link and info