1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st post, hope i'll get a little help

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by jgjones, Nov 11, 2004.

1. jgjones

jgjones Member

Ok, first i'd like to say how helpful these forums are i really apreciate all of those you post continuously. I hope my problem has a simple fix. I am pretty familiar with burning and ripping and encoding but am just starting trying my hand in avi to dvd converting. I used TMPEnc to encode to mpeg2 and used IFO Edit to author it, for some odd reason it came out to be 4.1g instead of 4.3g...don't know why. I followed the guide "Convert a DivX or XviD AVI to DVD" to the T and it didn't come out right. I've tried a few different things and still can't get it to come out to exactly 4.3g as i think it has to be. I finally said screw it and used nero to burn it. well it burned and will play on my computer with powerdvd but not on my crappy govideo at home or my pricey sony that will "play anything" so says the sales rep..(yeah right). Anyways any suggestions on what it is i'm doing wrong or not at all? any help would be greatly appreciated

2. imrllybad

imrllybad Member

The size of your resultant DVD video doesn't matter as long as the necessary files are present and in the right location. I've experience this problem many times before of being able to play burned dvds on pcs but not on consumer dvd players. The problem I belive is with Nero. With older version of Nero, you should not burn DVD movies using the DVD Video mode. Instead you should select DVDROM(UDF/ISO) option which is located at the very bottom of the mode list. Then in the ISO tab, make sure select ISO 9660 (not DOS or ASCII); filename length should be 8+3 format; mode 2/xa; and uncheck all relax restrictions on that page. On the UDF tab, be sure to select Physical Partition and UDF 1.02; These settings should make everything standard as far as being able to play your burnt DVD on as many players as possible.

BTW, using DVDROM(UDF/ISO) does not create the VIDEO_TS folder for you as in the DVD Video mode. When you create the VIDEO_TS folder, be sure it is all CAPS. **Very Important** The AUDIO_TS folder is optional. Now you can drag your 9 files to the VIDEO_TS folder and then your ready to burn.

If you have a newer version of Nero (6.3.0.0 or higher) then DVD Video mode should work fine; but if it doesn't try setting the ISO property as suggested above. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  3. jgjones

jgjones Member

ok thanks a lot imrllybad i will give this a try and then post the results, thanks for the help and i hope it works

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Wrong forum. Thread moved.