1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 .mpg's, don't know what to do :(

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by James1927, Dec 16, 2004.

1. James1927

James1927 Guest

Hi guys,

I have a film in two parts .mpg and the only thing I can use to play them is Video LAN Player. I can't even use AVICodec on them to see what they comprise of.
    They are great quality and I really want to burn to DVD but I have no idea where to start.
    Both parts are 700mb, and won't open with Windows Media Player etc.
    I don't even know how to join the two mpgs together :( I know VirtualDub for joining avi's, but can it join .mpg's too?
    I have a bad feeling about them tho' as normally im sure mpg's should play in Windows Media Player!

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2004
  2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Sorry, I never to that I cannot answer you (TMPGenc Merge & Cut joind MPEG-2 files for SVCD, can you use it for DVDs?).
    But if Virtualdub can join AVI why don't you

1) compress MPG --> AVI (DivX or Xvid multipass) with Virtualdub
    2) join the 2 AVIs
    3) decode the joined AVI --> 'joined' MPEG-2 with TMPGenc?

And, remmeber MPEG-2 play on WMP only if you have an optional MPEG-2 decorder installed (but since you see the single movies, it seems you've it installed).

3. James1927

James1927 Guest

Great thanks for you suggestion, I will try it when I get home from work!

I thought about reducing to avi's but I didn't think you could go backwards in a sense!

Thanks again!

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes, you can. If you have good codecs (DivX, Xvid) and will use multipass (great size but few quality loss) you won't lose much quality.
    Just a caution: when you encode back AVI --> MPG with TMPGenc use Settings --> Video --> Very High Quality (very slow) or you'll lose quality in the movie.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  5. stardust

stardust Regular member

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

stardust is right.
    its not worth it to do any conversion.

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes, also TMPGenc's MPEG Tools ---> Merge & Cut works fine (but maybe you need TMPGenc Plus?).