1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Stream OGG to AC3 for DVD

Discussion in 'Audio' started by fuderyuu, Jul 15, 2003.

1. fuderyuu

fuderyuu Member

Hello all.. this is a follow up question now for my OGM to DVD conversion that I am pondering to make - after I get an answer to this and my DVDs are done, Ill be sure to make a guide so that ppl dont run into the same problems I have.

so here is the question, after demuxing my .ogm file I now have 1 AVI and 2 OGG files (stream 1 and 2). Since I am trying to make a very decent (if not good) DVD -> OGM -> DVD conversion, I need to get those two OGG streams into some other format that TMPGEnc DVD Author can understand (*i.e. .mpg, .m2p, .mpa, mp2, ac3, wav, abs), and I thought AC3 surround would be a good choice (please let me know if otherwise). Does anyone know how I can create an AC3 audio file from 2 OGG vorbis files?

THank you in advance again.

Edit: I found a software called [bold]lamedropXPd[/bold] which transcodes from OGG to MP3 but now i have to figure out how to get those two MP3 Streams into one AC3 file. !

Last edited: Jul 15, 2003
  2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

You say you want a decent result so [bold]don't transcode the ogg vorbis audio to another lossy format![/bold] before transcoding to AC3.

Better decode to .wav if the program you want to use can handle it using foobar2000's diskwriter or e.g. OggDec -> http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/ogg.html

3. fuderyuu

fuderyuu Member

Thanks Tigre, I used the Diskwriter prog you mentioned and it did it to WAV. ONe flaw in it is that it couldn't batch output but that's fine. It was wortht the 15 minutes since the speed of the OGG -> WAV decoding was fast.
    Here is my next question though, is it worth going now from WAV to AC3? I mean, here is what I now have per each Chapter or my DVD:

Video (OGM): AVI -> MPG
    Audio (OGM): 2 OGG streams
    -> 1st Stream WAV files
    and
    -> 2nd Stream Mp3 files.

Both my DVD authoring programs can handle the mp3 and wav files alone but the filesize per stream is so huge with the WAV files. The second stream I will leave as MP3s because they are an avg of 20mb (its commentary - so no need fo r awesome quality); but the first streams I have converted to WAV - those are at an avg. of 200mb per file.
    Will Transcoding them to AC3 be a good idea (considering file size and quality)?
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2003
  4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Best would be to use the AC3 files from the original. If this is not possible ... it's your choice. You know yourself how much space each possibility takes and how much you need for the video stream (or if you have space left ...). I'd compress to AC3 and listen to it closely (without video). If there's nothing badly wrong use it, otherwise choose .wav .