1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009 Dodge Challenger--And Now Any Car at the Top of One Field or Another. *NO FIGHTING*

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Auslander, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

maybe so, but that's why it's my Dream Car. ^.^ hopefully, i'll be able to get a job after graduation that will let me afford such a luxury. *crosses fingers*

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

ah, but some do. there are dies around, that were made to produce the sheet metal in the '60s, they are currently being used by the more quality-oriented parts companies for repro parts for chargers, 'vettes, camaros, 'cudas, and a few others.

i would love to see pics of that 'stang, if you have any. it sounds awesome. ^.^

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  3. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

what do u think of the Mazda MX-5

its very efficent and very good...35 MPG

[​IMG]

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

it would be a great girls car , i like it but wouldn't buy one

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i'm not really a mazda fan, to be honest.

6. escalante

escalante Regular member

it looks cool but i would rather a more manly car if you know what i mean. oh yeah and i think the rolls looks weird. it's all expensive and all but i wouldn't really want one. maybe it's because I'm too young or something.

*Edit Or maybe i have bad taste!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Aus....damn that's perrrty!

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

the rolls or the charger?

9. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I meant the charger....didn't see the rolls though I have no doubt that its also perrrty. Some rolls royces bees perrrtier than others but there is no such thing as an ugly one.

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i would terrorize europe like the frankenstein monster if it would put a '68 charger in my garage.

11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

It would take the combination of all european economies just to put gas in the tank. Where was that rolls pic?

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

not necessarily true, given it's built of close-tolerance, lightweight, efficient parts, ger.

the rolls near the bottom of the last page.

13. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What about these bad boys..

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

love the Hemi Cuda, but the chevy isn't really my thing. ^.~

15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

That is the 57....my favorites were the 55.56.57.58. Strangely, my favorite of the four was the 1958 but I seem to be alone on that one:

[​IMG]

For a brief period, my mom has a 1956 chevy....my grandfather gave it to her when he couldn't drive anymore which was around 1969 or 70 and still very valued then, 35 years ago. My granfather bought is new and had a stroke some three years later and never drove it again...it stayed in his garage until he gave it to mom. It was like showroom condition except for a section of the fabric on the seat where the sun hit it everyday as well as a secion of the aqua colored paint which the sun bleaced but that was easy (all cars had lacquer pain jobs in those days, not acrylic/enamel so it rubbed out ). From sitting in the garage not being used, mom blew the engine AND GAVE IT TO HER MECHANIC BECAUSE IT WAS OLD!!! She figured the engine was worth replacing (35 years later and I'm still sobbing). It had about 25,000 miles on it. I only drove it once but it was neat....even then people couldn't figure out that the gas fill was behind the left tail light. We'd just let them look and look until they dropped their pride and asked LOL!

[​IMG]

And now let me post two of my favorite "ugly car" pics ... the 1951 buick lesabre and its futuristic look right down to the simulated jet exhaust in the rear LOL! It was a concept car but they actually made quite a few of them so its not as rare as one might think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Auslander....perhaps you're more aware of certain date than I am but you'll notice the weird design of both sidelights and headrests in some cars around 1968. It was either in 67 or 68 that laws required headrests, sidelights and seatbelts (perhaps that was cross chest belts instead of waist. I don't remember anymore. But it did cause a stink in the general public.

Seat belts particularly caused a lot of stink and justifiably so in those days. You see, the steering column wasn't designed to collapse until the mid 70s sometime so you were actually better off going through the windshield because the seat belt held you in place as designed but it held you in place only to be impailed by the steering column right through your torso and into the seat's back but with seats being stuffed with cotton and wool in those days rather than synthetics, it absorbed all that blood rather nicely!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2006
  16. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

nice, but not as pretty as the charger XD

17. Shado36

Shado36 Guest

IMHO the challenger is nice but unless the build quality was good I would give it a wide birth. Like it or loathe it the Europeans/Japanese build quality is far better than the vast majority of American cars. My fav's are beemers, Holden Monaro, Mitsubishi Evo, Lamborgini Diablo & some Ferrari's. Not sure if I would fit in the latter two being over 6ft but I can dream!

What amuses me is the way some American's complain about the price of gas and the jump into a big gas guzzler that gets 15mpg at best! Thats before we take enviromental issues into the argument! One reason why the Japanese cars sell is there mpg as well as there reliability and build quality. People want value for money and generally they get it with a japanese car. Just look at the top sellers in the Us!

18. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

no one's saying japanese cars aren't great (i drive a subaru daily, remember), but the typical hum drum car isn't really the purpose of this thread. this is for cars that stick out, either for amazing aesthetic value, punishing performance, or marvelous gas mileage--just something that puts a given vehicle at the top of it's game, or could, given named modifications.

as for gas guzzlers, well, i would never have a daily driver that's a gas guzzler. i would most prefer a biodiesel sipper. most of these high performers are weekend rides, and in the long run, i don't think having a fun sunday cruiser or weekend rocket is really that bad.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  19. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

LMAO! Yes, that's true; this is more that automotive fantasy thread but still, our friend shado36 has a damned good point. We just plain never learn. This has been going on since the first big gas crunch in 1972 and that one nearly put american car companies out of business. The Japanese car companies really made a brilliant move though...they made their cars heavier, more solid and more luxurious. They use to be called "economy cars" not because of gas milage but because they were rather bare bones...that changed almost overnight and the american companies really suffered because of it. In the last month, the price of gas has gone down and the interest in SUVs had gone back up in direct proportion. Gas would have to go up and stay there for quite awhile like it did in the early 70s if people are to change their mindset. ANd you know, in the 70s, it was all staged. I was at the navy hospital in Boston taking care of my marines hospitalized there. The hosp was on a hill overlooking the charles river. Tankers would sit there in the water, hulls deep in the water waiting for the price to go up before offloading the cargo. Crooks. I'm sure its no different this time.

20. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

proportionally, the gas high then wasn't near as high as it was just a few months ago. people just can't part with their SUVs these days. i miss when the old Bronco II's and Jimmy's were as big as SUVs commonly got....even though it was before my time.