1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30-day MPEG2 decoder?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by sar840t2, Feb 12, 2007.

1. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

I have downloaded the trial version of Nero 7 Ultimate Enhanced (again). With some more persistence I am now able to get DVD playback to look acceptable by setting Video mode to fixed deinterlacing (which is not the default).

My next question is, why is it telling me MPEG2 decode will require additional payment? Is it simply telling me I need to buy the software (which is fine, I will buy it if it continues to work), or is it telling me that even if I had already bought it, MPEG2 decode would only work for 30 days unless I paid them more money?

Anyone know what the real deal is with this?

And next question - is there anything out there that just burns DVDs, without all the extra features? I dislike having to pay ~$80 for a feature that should cost half that, and it just adds insult to injury if the rest of the features you're required to buy trample all over your system. Can you still get burn-only OEM versions of Nero bundled with drives?

I'm still not sure why an ~$80 software package, one of who's main features is DVD playback, would:

1) Have a default option that makes people want to throw it out the window
    2) Only work for 30 days before needing to pay more money (on top of what I paid for the software).

Thanks ... Mike

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

If you purchased the software, the decoders should work normally. If you reinstalled with a downloaded version, you may still be using the trial serial number, in which case you might need to open ProductSetup and put in the one you purchased.

The fact you are having to change the default settings to watch a DVD, may indicate other problems.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  3. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

I haven't paid for it yet. The wording is vague and I can't tell if after sending them $80 I will have to pay more to play DVDs.

I agree that poor playback with default settings is indicative of a problem. Question is - where does the problem lie?

4. sar840t2

sar840t2 Member

I decided I could live with the sub-optimal MPEG2 codec (either change the settings for ShowTime or install another codec for Windows Media Player) and keep my fingers crossed about not having to pay more for the decoder after purchasing Nero.

So I went back to the link they gave me when I installed it, which would get me a discount.

The discount offer is no longer valid, and it's only been a few days since I installed it. Bummer.

Originally I was willing to pay street price for it, but having seen I could get it for less, and then having that yanked away from me, makes me think I probably will not buy it. My aging Roxio 6 basic is looking better every day (although having said that, the trial of Roxio 9 made such a mess of my registry that I'm not sure I can get Roxio 6 to work again).

We'll see if there's a response to my support request about this (although I never got anything other than an automated response to my question about the codec quality, so I don't expect them to come through for me).

Mike