1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bell schedule at a Community COLLEGE?!?!?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Pop_Smith, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Today I heard a rumor that the Community College I'm currently attending is switching to a "bell schedule". I thought "What the heck?", I figured it was just a rumor that wouldn't be real.

Turns out, it's real! :( I did a Google search and it won't go into effect until next Fall semester, which is basically next September.

I'm a little relieved that it's not until next Fall, because I'll probably be up at one of the local Universities by then. However, it's still a stupid idea in my opinion because it basically turns the Community College into a massive high school.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I agree it's pretty stupid - a bell system in college??? Community college or not makes no diff. What are they thinking?

3. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Yeah, a very big reason that I'm upset about it is that the college I'm going to already has a stereotype of being a glorified high school. Adding a bell schedule to the mix just causes the college to "conform" to the stereotype, which isn't good.

Also, when it comes to high school, most people I've talked to want to move on and get away from it where they are usually treated as "kids", even when they are close to graduation. Having bells like a high school is going to make those people want to avoid going to the community college.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Binkie hello first and have you talked to a recent graduate of a public high school lately. Where I am, they have so dumbed down the curricula that a diploma means nothing. They are just being babysat.

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hey there garmoon!

I agree some public school systems suck. In the DC area though it really depends on what county you are. Howard Cnty for example has great schools while Prince George's suck.

You make valid points Pop_Smith - going to college is like a rite of passage to adulthood - leave the bells where they belong in HS.

6. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Not any recent ones, other than those I have encountered in my classes. They seem "smart enough" and "grown up" enough to be in college.

As binkie7 mentioned I think I'm pissed about it because college is often a "rite of passage" from being a kid to becoming an adult and having a bell schedule isn't going to help them "mature" or learn time management as one does with some college classes.

Oh well, I might complain about it a bit. Maybe I'll write the college paper and take some action against it, it's better than doing nothing. However, if it does come to fruition I'll just have to tough it out for a semester or two at most before I move on to a local University to go after my Bachelors (and possibly other, further, education).

7. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

We're not talking about hall monitors and tardy slips, we are talking about a bell that sounds to remind you to go back to class...so you don't have to keep checking your watch/cell phone.

It's still your choice if you want to go back to class...no one is making you go, and they would rather you didn't go (makes staff's job easier, lets other students have more time with teachers).

The community college I went to has had bells for years, it does not change the environment of the school at all. It's not like there are fraternities and research departments...community college is just glorified High School.