1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A NEWBIES GUIDE TO MX ANDROID

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by piopat, Feb 12, 2015.

1. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

@Testubeuk : got sorted with that work around to see the properties I had to highlight the file and at the bottom of the screen I had to click on "more " then I could see properties, got kodi 15.2 - isengard - rc installed , cheers !

2. piopat

piopat Active member

sorry for the late reply . in my experience what you mention usually happens for one of two reasons , one being as tongs said which is that you may have mis spelled the repo link when typing it . it can happen easily , i know lol as my eyes are not what they were and ive mis spelled a few things , so when typing in a link etc its always best to double check your spelling . but with repo links you can edit them and correct an error easily enough or retype the whole link if you wish .

the other reason may be that a repo is very popular and so many people have been on that the server has become over loaded . it does happen , all you can do is keep trying until the box connects .

3. piopat

piopat Active member

sorry but is it imperative that you have kodi 15 or later ? , i mean if you have say kodi 14.2 and its working fine why change . all tho yes i suppose at some point a change may be necessary for different reasons .

4. piopat

piopat Active member

when you say everything was wiped do you mean kodi / xbmc was wiped and everything on it also ? . if you download a kodi apk file to a usb stick and insert the stick in the box you can install kodi that way . of course you will have to install your favorite addons again , unless you made a backup copy . this is the importance of making a backup copy of your kodi/ xbmc , its easy enough and it can save you a lot of work .

5. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

It's not imperative , I went to update kodi from 14.2 (just to update ) to 15 , I down loaded the file, installed it but it failed . So I just wanted to know if there was a firmware available that would run the latest kodi on an mx2 box , matricom 1.2.2 doesn't support it as you said at some stage kodi will need updating so its just good to know I could ! and my mx2 clone isn't an antique yet :)

6. piopat

piopat Active member

no worries mate .

7. Mackel13

Mackel13 Newbie

Hi,

I have the same problem with my mx box with no picture but audio, I already did the system acceleration allow hardware acceleration libstagefright and disabled the other two but still I have the same problem...is there another solution...

8. piopat

piopat Active member

is this happening on all addons ? i mean movies etc or is it just iptv channels ? . what mx box have you got and what version of kodi ?.

ive never known it to happen with movie addons , just iptv channels that i source myself and view via playlist loader , it doesnt in my experience happen with iptv addons . can i suggest that if possible you try a different hdmi cable and also try a different hdmi connection on your tv (there is usually two ) just to cover everything .

9. Ayron

Ayron Newbie

so i have asked people everywhere and no one seems to reply to me. I am new to MXQ Android Box but after reading things online there are two things that i am having issues with.

1) When i press "o" while watching a movie i only see that CPU0, & CPU1 are running. The box is a quad core so i research and found someone that downloaded a manager tool from google play store and enabled a feature to use CPU0 through CPU3 all 4 cores. problem is he doesnt tell what tool he used, or what to do in that tool, just said the change the CPU mode to on demand to performance. NO idea how to do this.

2) The same guy said that he was testing internet speeds on is box around 15Megs with a 80Megs Internet so he read that the the stock firmware wasn't great so he found a customer firmware and flashed it and now is reading 75Meg on his box. I have 150 Meg Internet and when i do a speed test using an app from google play store on 2 different apps i get about 15Megs as well HARDWIRED. Can anyone help me get the 100Megs the box is capable of getting with a hardwired connection?

10. piopat

piopat Active member

you say your box is hardwired (connected via ethernet ) but is the box still set to wifi ? . go to your android apps , this will be where kodi is , look for an app called settings or mbox settings and open it . you should see wifi and ethernet settings , by default the box is set to wifi , it wont change to ethernet on its on you have to change the setting . so if wifi is set simply select ethernet . after that your box should be getting the full internet speed .

i know people with quads (mine is a dual core ) and ive not see anyone have to tell the box to use each core .

11. Ayron

Ayron Newbie

I made sure the WiFi is disabled and that I am using ethernet only. When I do the same speed test using the same apps on my cell phone I get 85Mbps but when I do it on my MXQ box the max I get is 15Mbps. Is there anything I can do so I can at least get 50Mbps on my box.

12. Les Pritchard

Les Pritchard Newbie

Can the MXPRO be used in USA .

13. piopat

piopat Active member

i cant see anyway that you wouldnt get the full 85mb on your box if your box is connected via ethernet . are you 100% certain that wifi is disabled and ethernet is enabled ? . i mean if the ethernet connection is enabled you should get the full speed that you get on your phone or laptop , as you are getting 85mb on your phone and only 15 on the box i can only think that the box is still somehow set to wifi .

14. piopat

piopat Active member

should work anywhere as long as you have internet . you would need a vpn from america for say bbc player , but you can view all uk channels on filmon anywhere in the world without a vpn .

15. hammerddh

hammerddh Newbie

Hi,
    This may sound like a really daft question.
    Would having an ethernet connection be any different from a WIFI connection ?
    I have a box working fine over WIFI but have recently purchased a second box (MXQ) which is attached to BT Hub via ethernet. On the new box I cannot get into Add-Ons like Genesis etc. I mean they are there but it will not load up and film description. For example I can get to the search function, type in say "Cars" but it returns nothing. IF i select "Most Popular" again nothing.
    Yet go into other room on the older box and do the exact same thing and everything works perfect ?

16. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

have you tried youtube outside of kodi to see if your internet is enabled on the new box? if not you will have to enable the ethernet option

17. piopat

piopat Active member

ethernet coonect as opposed to wifi connected is different in terms of internet speeds . for example my internet speeds when wired are 80mb to 90 mb however when using wifi i only get about 15mb speed , so wired connections are always best speed wise . wired doesnt have to mean running a long ethernet cable from one side of the house to the other now , you could use devices like homeplugs .

as tongs says on the new box ethernet is probably not enabled as these boxes in my experience usually are set to wifi setting by default . so as tongs says you likely need to enable ethernet , on my mx2 in my android apps i go to settingsmbox and open that and usually right there are the wifi / ethernet options , so it should be easy to enable ethernet .

18. melissa6987

melissa6987 Newbie

I bought a preloaded (or bloated rather)Mxlll box with Kodi 14.2 rc1 on it and every google app known to man. I downloaded Isengard 15.2 but the movies/tv streams are still glitchy and buffering. I'm wondering if the amount of RAM left on this box is my problem. The only reason I got the box in the first place was for Kodi. I could care less about google play, google play services, google store and on and on.
    Is there a way I can start over or buy a box that doesn't have anything on it other than Kodi. LOL
    I did the factory reset/wipe data a couple of times. But when I reboot it it goes back to the backup that the programmer built in here. Some TXRbuilder or something like that. I no longer know what it is because in order to to download Isengard I had to delete Kodi 14.2 because of "same program different signature" issues. Any assistance you can give me would be much appreciated. ;-)
    Thanks!

Melissa

19. piopat

piopat Active member

firstly google playstore is very good for installing android apps and tools such as mx player or a vpn etc . so while you dont need lots of apps that you may never use (which you can get rid of ) there are a few useful android apps , playstore being one .

i think from memory it was posted here that kodi isengard 15 or above has a hd problem , this is causing any hd stream to freeze and buffer , sd streams should be fine . if this is your problem you can simply uninstall isengard and go back to kodi 14.2 . a lot of people like to upgrade to the latest version of apps even tho they have no problem with the slightly older app they have , the old saying really is true that if its not broken dont fix it . isengard is not imperative and the thing is it wont really give you anything different from 14.2 , 14.2 is still quite new and works perfectly . where as newer versions of any app can have problems that need ironing out , hence i wouldnt ever advise installing the latest versions untill you have read reviews and see what problems if any it has . that way if its got certain issues you can wait untill these are sorted and a stable version is available .

any android box requires firmware (operating system software ) , these apps you mention come as part of the firmware , your box needs firmware to operate so you cant simply have a box only with kodi . you can uninstall all but a few android apps if you wished , obviously kodi is an android app so that would be one , playstore would be another . so before you even install kodi your box has firmware in it , depending on the box this firmware may take up anywhere between 1 and 2 gb of hdd memory , so if you buy a box advertised as having for example 6gb hard drive well that really is going to be down to about 4 or maybe 5 gb right from removing the android box from its packaging .

kodi if full of addons and settings could for example take up i would say from experience a minimal of 1.5gb of memory , so then you could have 3 to 4 gb of your 6gb memory used up . so this is why its always imperative to eb aware of the memory capacity of a box before you buy and also to be aware of memory usage as you are using the box .

a factory reset wont remove the box firmware so yes of course the box will still show the same firmware . what you need to do after the factory reset is check your storage capacity and make a note of how many gbs hdd is used and how many are still available . your box being an mx3 may be 8gb hdd (it may even be 16gb if you paid for extra memory ) but you need to check this in settings (or settings mbox ) settings is another important app that you need . obviously you need all system software / apps . if your box has 8gb hdd , from factory reset available space i should imagine be about 5gb give or take . when you install kodi from new its empty and typically about half a gb in size .

i would then say only install repos and addons that you will use , dont install addons that wont be used as that only takes up space . keep your kodi setup basic , install just the addons that you need , then before you do anything take a full backup copy of kodi . then as you go down the line and kodi starts to fill as it will and take up more and more memory you can simply clear kodi data . that will empty kodi and in effect put it back to how it was when you first installed it , empty with no addons . then you pop in the backup you created and you then have freed up memory and keep your box running smoothly .

clean smart is a good app also that can be used not only to uninstall unwanted apps but also it can get rid of gbs of rubbish that your box stores .

you cant install kodi twice , one version will try to over write the other because they have the same name . however isengard is different as its the latest version so it will differ from kodi 14.2 in structure , that is likely why you get an error . you can however install tvmc (which is kodi under another name ) and kodi 14.2 also and have both on your box , just as you can have xbmc (another older name for kodi ) and kodi 14.2 installed together . but you cant have two kodis .

20. Wayne65

Wayne65 Newbie

I have a android box mx q.I cannot get it to work on my sony tv, but it works on another tv, any ideas why