1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A NEWBIES GUIDE TO MX ANDROID

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by piopat, Feb 12, 2015.

1. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

2. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

hi guys for anyone using robinhood in kodi has now updated from 2.1 to 3.0 has also changed name to robinhood project , he has some excellent stuff inside movies sports etc, the new url source http://shadowcrew.info/shadows/ click done press ok on name shadows , exit back to system/settings/addons install from zipfile, open file, install repo , go back to get addons click on robinhood and install .
    cheers guys
    paulie57 ............................

3. kingsharky

kingsharky Newbie

NEED HELP PLz I have an Mxq box all was going fine thanks by the way to piopat for previous help . Came home from work turned the box on and I can not access anything keep getting a white screen up after a few minutes saying Tge machine has a serious error , need reboot to repair and then a confirm tab . When I click confirm the box just shuts down comes back on but still the same thing . I can go into some apps for a few seconds and then it just skips back to home screen . Tried going into file manager to see if I could see any file changes or updates or even if I could reinskae some apps but nothing . Is my only option here a factory re set and hope for the best , Strange thing is that I got the message yesterday and just rebooted and it worked fine so I thought nothing of it help please don't have the cash to buy another box

4. piopat

piopat Active member

thats a strange one sharky, ive only seen one other mention of that error and no mention of what causes it or how to fix it . that said he had apps working despite the error and you dont . that said he inserted an sd card and the box killed it , so that doesnt sound great .

how old is your box ? , if you bought the box less than 12 months ago its still covered by warranty , if so contact your supplier . you could try to reflash it and change the firmware but that may void your warranty (if the box is less than 12 months old ) and that wouldnt guarantee success .

can you access the settings menu ? , i saw the settings menu but on my box its called settings mbox , but on yours it may be different . what im wanting to do is see if you can check your memory usage . if you cant access any menus it wont matter of course .

but if you can access settings menu , you will likley see NETWORK first , then use your right button and go over to OTHER , then go down to more settings and press ok . now use your down button and go to APPS and press ok , then press the right button and enter the list of apps , now go to and highlight xbmc ( or kodi , which ever you have ) and then press ok .

now you will see various info , about half way down you will see DATA , and to the right of that a number (for example 3gb ) , and below that CLEAR DATA . now if the above says say 4gb or more that means your box maybe full (data wise ) , i dont know if this is the case but its something you can try , if the box is full it will of course fail to work properly if at all . so its worth checking this .

below data you will see CACHE , and again to its right is a number , and below that it says CLEAR CACHE .

i keep my data usage and cache low , now just as an example my data usage is 1.16gb , and my cache is currently just 77mb , my box has an 8gb hdd so with my kodi data and apps installed and some other stuff well my over all storage capacity is say about 5.5gb , at present because i get my numbers low ive still got over 3gb free . so its worth checking if you can to see if you can see what your kodi data usage is , if you can and its sky high well you may have found the problem , in which case you need to clear your data cache and might aswell clear the regular cache also . you can clear regular cache any time , but data should only need to be cleared in an emergency really .

as i say that may not be the problem , and you may not even be able to access menus , but if you can its worth trying . the problem with doing this (and if your box is full you have no choice ) is that when clearing data you delete everything inside xbmc / kodi , thats apps / settings stored passwords etc , so that means you have to reinstall your favourite addons again . what i do is i keep a backup copy of kodi , and i keep the numbers relatively low , and because i have a backup i can if i need to remove my current kodi and re install it , and then pop in my backup and im good to go .

but if you cant access menus or anything and the box is covered under warranty contact your supplier .

5. piopat

piopat Active member

thanks paulie . i should add that if you have robinhood installed (the last version ) it wont work . but once you install the repo that paulie posted that will (should ) automatically update / fix your non working addon , you will know once you have installed the repo as onscreen it will say addon robinhood project updated . what im saying is that if you have robinhood installed , and if you then install the repo above , that you dont (shouldnt ) need to install robinhood addon again as the repo should auto update /fix your non working version . thanks again paulie for posting .

6. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Hi guys piopat you're bang on only need new url line if you already have old robinhood , it will update itself , but for first time users you do need to install , piopat just read sharky issue and would agree if the box is within guaranty should return to supplier , I did have a problem with a mxq I got for a mate of mine , his box was stuck on the mbox logo and would not go beyond that point seemed to be stuck in loop , I had to reset via a.c. port lost a few apps and repos port but got lucky I had a back up done and got it running again , but this reset is a bit hit and miss and far saver to return if still within guarantee

Paulie57 ...............

7. kingsharky

kingsharky Newbie

Hi piopat thanks for the help but this did not work tried everything tried uninstalling kodi ect wiping other data but nothing worked and every thing that was wiped was back on when it rebooted so I in the end I did a factory re install but obviously I now have to star from scratch . So I now have a pile of other question kodi is on and I loaded super repo (helix) and I can access add ins and they seem to work but no sound ?? Think might just have to change the video player do maybe you could help here , the other 2 things that I need help with is installing showbox (my fab app) and finally tried adding other repos eg new metal kettle I add the source name it click ok but then I get up box unable to connect
    "Could not retrieve directory information . This could be due to the network not being connected " I have check through settings/ network and everything seems to be fine . If you could help please it would be much appreciated , I am relieved though that at least the box is back working although some what limited any help would be great on these issues cheers

8. kingsharky

kingsharky Newbie

Got shoebox reinstalled don't want to go against any site rules so if anybody needs to know just get in touch

Issues now are no sound and getting sources sorted

9. kingsharky

kingsharky Newbie

Sorry this probably read wrong need help still getting sound back on think this may be as simple as changing the default video player and also need help sorting out getting repos on as above issue

10. piopat

piopat Active member

11. piopat

piopat Active member

hi paulie if a box is sort of stuck on booting usually thats just a boot issue . a change of firmware would usually fix that , but of course the correct firmware is needed , flash with the wrong firmware tho and the box could be bricked .

sparkies problem doesnt seem to be a boot issue tho , could be something more serious that cant easily be fixed , so may need a new box from the supplier . talk soon mate

12. piopat

piopat Active member

hi sharky the think with repo links is that you have to type them exactly as you are given them , if you make a little mistake the link just wont work . for example if a link had caps and had H and you entered h the link wont work , or if the link had o and you typed in 0 same thing .so ensure the link is correct mate .

super repo is ok and worth having but you should try to load as many addons as you can from the correct repos , you see super repo is just a large selection of addons from a lot of other repos . but usually the people that make these addons have their own repos and they may do regular updates , that means you get updates via their repo automatically . but if super repo dont upload the updated addons regularly to their repo you miss updates . mettle kettle is a very good repo to have , what you could do is install fusion , fusion is a program that lets you install from a big selection of repos .

as for mettle kettle repo ensure that it is the new link , some times the link to the repo goes down for a bit and then works again so it may just be a temporary glitch . but i would double check that you typed the link properly . does shoebox work ? the reason i ask is if it does then obviously there is nothing wrong with your network , so that would lead me to say that either you typed the mettle kettle link wrong / the link is currently down / or you used the old link , in fact i just tried mettle kettle repo and it works . so it seems to indicate that you either typed the link in wrong or its the old link .

there is a video player in your box and it should play audio and video by default , its hard to understand why you have video but no audio . it may sound silly but the audio on the box isnt turned down is it ? or on mute ? . maybe its a tv thing , try powering off the tv (unhook the hdmi cable from box and tv ) , then reconnect the hdmi cable and then power the tv back on .

13. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Hi piopat as we spoke in earlier posts. Metalkettle had problems with others stealing his thunder so has changed a few times what I'm running at the moment htt://kodi.metalkettle.co/ when naming I call it kettle
    also you need xfinity talk repo installed to run metalkettle
    So for anyone who does have xfinitytalk

14. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Sorry guys for anyone who does not have xunitytalk installed add source http://www.xunitytalk.com/xfinity you can name it *xfinityrepo when you go install from zipfile openzipfile and install xunitytalk repo zip at the bottom .

Cheers guys
    paulie57 ........

15. kingsharky

kingsharky Newbie

Got the volume issue resolved piopat . Eventually found that the Miracast default does not go through HDMI it was as simple as going into Miracast and changing the default now next to fix the issue with the file paths to set up new repos will let you know

16. Dosso31

Dosso31 Newbie

Hi all! First newbie post from a struggling user!
    I have an MX3 android TV box, and despite having an SD card fitted, programs I download all go onto the hard drive of the box and now it's completely full - I can't find where to set the defaults to record to the SD memory card. Any ideas?

Also, I did have Popcorn Time on the box but when it started downloading programs to the hard drive I completely ran out of room. I deleted the app, but can't reinstall as the hard drive is still too full. Problem is, I now can't find the programs I downloaded to delete them all. File Browser is completely hopeless and won't let me OPEN folders, only lists them (e.g. Downloads folder)

Totally stuck and frustrated. Can anyone help? Thanks

17. piopat

piopat Active member

if a box memory gets full the box itself cant really operate . so really you need to clear the memory , kodi is probably what is now talking up most of the memory as you have been downloading etc . sadly the only way to do this is to wipe / delete everything within kodi , that means deleting the data cache , that in turn sadly means that you will lose everything in kodi and you will have to start again adding addons and repos etc .

this is a reason why its important to make a backup copy of kodi once you have it set as you want it and while the memory usage is low . that way you you can if you needed to delete the data cache and then re install the backup , and within a few minutes your box is returned to where it was when you made the backup .

kodi addons (but not all ) have an option to set a download location , on my mx2 BEFORE i open an addon i go to it and highlight it and then i press the blue / menu button on my remote . that brings up a short menu with a few options , one of which is addon settings or to configure the settings . from there (if the addon allows ) you may be able to set the download location to an sd card or usb stuck .

on your box in your android apps (where file browser is ) you should see an app called settings mbox , open that . the first thing you will see is network settings such as wifi / ethernet . press the right button on your remote and go to OTHER , now below other you should see MORE SETTINGS (select that ) .

now you will see lots of options like WIFI / BLUETOOTH/ ETHERNET etc , go down the list to and select APPS . now on the right of screen you should see apps listed , press the right button on your remote to enter the right side of the screen where the apps are listed . now go to kodi or xbmc (which ever you have installed ) and select it , now you will see various options like uninstall / clear data / clear cache etc . above clear data it will have a figure in gbs , if your data is full you probably will see about 4gb listed , that means you have to clear your data . as above that will leave you with xbmc / kodi but with no addons etc , but i dont really see that you have much choice . so if you want to / need to clear data you can do so by selecting CLEAR DATA , that in turn will also clear the regular kodi cache .

once thats done you should check the memory usage of your other favourite android apps just as you did above . im not saying delete the data cache of every app NO DONT DO THAT , all im saying is look at the regular cache size for each app that you regularly use , they regular cache is below the data cache , by clearing / deleting the regular cache of apps you use you may be able to free up another half a gb of memory or maybe more . you can clear the regular cache at any time and it wont harm your box , and it wont delete anything important , in fact you should be active in keeping track of memory usage and clearing these regular caches when ever you can .

but having done this you will need to reinstall your favourite kodi addons and repos and when thats all done make a backup copy of kodi . everything you need is in this tutorial .

18. Dosso31

Dosso31 Newbie

Hi - piopat, thanks for your suggestions.
    Here's the weird thing - I can't find the data anywhere. It was shows I downloaded from Popcorn, but in my haste (yesterday), I deleted popcorn, and now the data is not showing up anywhere.
    When I go to Settings/Apps/All the total says 5.1GB used, but none of the remaining apps use much at all. Lodi is 136mb, XMBC is 123mb, so the data must belong to Popcorn, although I can't get to it (or re-install Popcorn)......

Short of doing a complete factory reset - I'm stuck!

Any other thoughts?
    Thanks again for you help!

19. piopat

piopat Active member

hi dosso if you deleted the app you should then by default have deleted the data cache with it , atleast in theory . by any chance is your box set to zero caching ? , i know from reading that people with that setting complain that their box memory can fill quickly and that its hard to free up the memory really other than a factory reset .

if your box is full (with 5.1gb used its full to the brim ) and you cant clear data it looks like a factory reset may be your best and only option , it appears you were right about popcorn . now a factory reset is not as bad as it may sound , what it means is that you will lose kodi and xbmc (by the way you dont need both installed unless perhaps its just for testing purposes , all your doing is taking up memory capacity ) and any addons and android apps that you installed , all the default stuff and default apps will all still be in your box after a reset so you wont have to flash the box or anything .

factory reset is located in the menu i mentioned in my last post above , instead of going to apps go down to backup and reset , open that and you will see a reset option , for other people reading this this option is in the mx2 / mx3 and mxq boxes and i think also in the m8 but some boxes may not have this option , they may have to use the toothpick method to reset the box .

dosso remember now that a reset will remove your kodi and xbmc and any addons or settings you installed including login passwords etc . so after factory reset which may take upwards of 15 minutes you will need to re install kodi and then add your repos and addons etc .

the only other thing i can think of is if you have es file explorer installed (and if it works ) you might be able to go in and delete the files taking up the memory space in the box , but you would need to know what those files are called and the correct location and i dont . might just be safer and easier to factory reset .

20. Dosso31

Dosso31 Newbie

Hey piopat - thanks again for your help! I've factory reset the box and also finally worked out how to record programs onto the memory card (the answer was in "caching" from the app, rather than any of the other more obvious options. Now I just need to work out how to play the films back once recorded - but I'll get there!
    Thanks again for you help and support!