1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"access denied" on Exterior hard Files

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Hobbit72, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Hobbit72

Hobbit72 Member

Anybody know how to re-scann a hard drive for files. I did it one before on a exterior hard drive I had put together for music and it seemed to hic-up and forgot all the files I had put on it when I took it to work.Under properties the free/used space showed it was still there. Now I did this scann or check and it found all the files and restored it all.
    Now I have an exterior hard drive wich I keep my avi's files on.I took that to a friends house and Now I'm getting "access denied" on two of my folders and some of my vids won't play.
    "Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

The folders properties: It reads 0 on the numbers when I looked up properties: 0 files and 0kb.
    Under O&O defrag, I can click on a cluster block and see the info for that block and my vids inside the files are there, it's just acts like someone thru a blanket over those files and my computer can't see them.
    There is a Family Guy vid On there that I can see, but will not play--access denied write protected or in use. It's like my computer can see the title, but not the stuff inside to make it work.
    I just can't remember what I had did before. It was something that checked/scanned the drive and restored the connection/info. Any ideas please.

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

Are you trying to use vista to read the external drive?
    If you are, try to go to properties on the external drive partition you want to access, next go the sharing tab. Pick "share this folder on the network", and also check the box "allow network users to change my files". I think it's some sort of permissions issue with vista.

3. Hobbit72

Hobbit72 Member

I'm using Xp

I'm getting this on 2 of my folders (Anime and carttons)and the Family guy Avi will not play.-->"Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored"
    [​IMG]

But under defrag they are still there. Click on a cluster block
    and the data is there.
    [​IMG]

When I look at the properties
    [​IMG]