1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding .srt subtitles to iPod viewable mp4

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by gargaroth, Mar 18, 2007.

1. gargaroth

gargaroth Member

I've been looking around the forums and there are questions SIMILAR to the one I'm asking, but not quite it. If this question has been answered previously, I apologize.

I recently converted an *.avi file to *.mp4 with a program called 3GP_Converter I downloaded somewhere along the line.

Unfortunately, I didn't watch the *.avi file beforehand, or pay too close attention to the fact that it had an *.srt file that accompanied it. The story turns sour, as I deleted the *.avi file shortly afterward, as for some strange reason it had become corrupted somehow during the encoding. This file is permanently deleted with no way of restoring.

So now my problem is such: I need to directly encode the *.srt subtitle file onto my newly created *.mp4 file, so that I can view it on my iPod video.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

AVISynth with directshowsource() to load the mp4 and textsub() for the srt should do the trick. Don't know why Apple can't just add ttext subtitle support. Then you could simply remux with subs.

3. gargaroth

gargaroth Member

I was all excited when looking at what AVISynth could do; and then I tried it myself and I failed miserably :-( (lol)

Im a total noob when it comes to text-based encoding/editing.

In my *.avs (which I created in the directory with my *.mp4 video and *.srt subs) file i wrote:

DirectShowSource ("c:\****\*** ****\some video.MP4")

textsub ("c:\****\*** ****\some subtitles.srt")

When I watch the *.avs file in MPC, there is a 10 second long video with the 'error':

Evaluate: System exception - Access Violation
    ("C:\****\*** ****\some video.avs, line 1)

Why is there an error in that first line?

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

What happens if you try and render the mp4 in graphedit?

5. gargaroth

gargaroth Member

GraphEdit totally carks it and comes up with the default Microsoft crap (DirectShow SDK Filter Graph Editor has encountered a problem and needs to close. etc)

Not looking good.