1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on buying a laptop

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by raffs, Feb 26, 2007.

1. raffs

raffs Regular member

Hi, I am planning on buying a laptop, of course I will want it to play the latest games with all options turned way up while processing my home movies all for around £100 !! :).

But on a more serious note I am looking for the best value for money. I am willing to spend up to £500. Would like to play some games on it (doesn't have to have alloptions running at full whack), will need it for some dvd authoring also.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

2. raffs

raffs Regular member

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well, neither are going to run games well but the Core 2 Duo is faster. But the AMD Turion has a bigger harddrive.

I, personally, would go for the Core 2 Duo if I didn't need all the space.

4. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

go with the c2d you can always get a externall hdd or make one yourself ( out of an internal and a encloser) for cheap

5. raffs

raffs Regular member

Thanks for the replies. The two laptops that I selected are example of what I found available for my budget, I don't have to stick to either of these. If anyone knows of other makes that offer good 'bang for bucj' then I would be glad to hear about the. A lot of HD space is not as important as the power of the machine as J0hnnyga says I can always tack on an external HD. I am more interested in getting the best cpu/graphical power. As I said in the first post - want to play some games, (they dont have to be running at 70 fps with all options turned up full), and the use of programs like dvdsanta, etc.

Thanks again for the responses.

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah, your gaming options aren't too good with either but if you wanna play Call of Duty 1 or Medal of Honor AA they should be fine. And I say to go for the Core 2 Duo.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

Finding a laptop that is good for gaming will not be easy at all. They just do not make them for gaming like a PC
    You would have to have at least
    1GB RAM
    Pentium 4 3.0GHZ processor or better
    128MB DirectX 9 Shader 3.0 Graphics card like the 256MB ATI RADEON X1800 which comes in higher priced Dell Laptops.
    and DirectX 9 compatible sound card

those specs would play the most demanding game i have seen so far on PC, other games are slightly lower.
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...oks_best?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1
    the Dell XPS M1710 would have what you need but be twice what you wanted to pay.
    The Inspiron 9400 is more in your range and the graphics card, processor and memory on it would work too. Just to give you some guidelines when you are looking at other systems that may be cheaper.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  8. raffs

raffs Regular member

Thanks for the advice. I am getting confused as to the processors on offer. What are the differences with core duo and core duo 2 and are they much better than the AMD Turion 64 MK36 - will they perform the same on single applications?

Thanks again.

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

As far as I know the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo both kick the (still decent0Turion's ass.

The only difference between the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo is cache size(I think). Both use the same basic architecture. The Core 2 Duo is just newer for the most part.

Both of the Intel offerings will blow away the Turion.

As for Video, I'd look for X1600/X700 or Go 6600/GT and faster.

EDIT:

And as for Dell, I'd go for it. They have an awesome monthly payment plan that's great for budgets.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  10. raffs

raffs Regular member

Thanks for the advice. I have heard that there are to be developments in thelaptop foeld early this year with the prices of the cpus used now dropping. Any truth in this?

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well, I've heard nothing myself but I'd expect there to be a nice drop in a month or so.

12. raffs

raffs Regular member

Why do you think there will be a price drop in a month? Is this a slow period for laptops?

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Its a pretty slow time.

But I'm expecting a price drop because the technology is through its buggy stage and gaining age. About 6 months since Core 2 came out.