1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American McGee's Alice Cyclic Redundancy Check Error

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by indigo200, Nov 26, 2004.

1. indigo200

indigo200 Guest

Okay, I just bought this game at Fred Maeyer for $4.90. Never been opened until now. I went to install it and on the second disk it popped up with a Cyclic Rendundacu Check Error and then closed the installer. I tried again and the same thing happened. I contact EA tech support and said that the error was rare and to just retry the installer (oih!). I asked them if they could replace the disk, and they said that they weren't able to due to the age of the game. So, I really want to play this game, and I have no idea what to do or what this error means. Could someone please help me out?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you check the game site for patches & faq

3. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

the cyclic error can be solved easily.

All u need is Alcohol 120%, the game, and some Hard Disk space.

1. Get Alcohol 120% (google it or click the link)
    2. Create an image of the game - be sure to set it to "skip disk read errors" - while making the image file, it'll probably give a few disk read errors, but it'll continue making the image file.
    3. Mount the image onto one of alcohol 120%'s Virtual Drives (you'll have to make one in alcohol 120%)
    4. Run the installation and it should work now!

4. supermat

supermat Member

Anyone have an idea how to rescue Alcohol 120% compatible image files (.mds, .mdf) that are trapped on a backup that gives the CRC error check message when trying to copy them from the disc to a Windows XP PC?

5. Xian

Xian Regular member

A CRC error is a checksum that ensures that the data you received or read is the same as the original data. When a disk has a CRC error it means that the data read did not match what it was supposed to be - more than likely you have a damaged disk. Reading it with Alcohol and setting it to skip errors will not help in that case since the actual data is damaged. All you can do is take it back to the shop and trade it for another copy since EA won't replace it.

For a good explanation of crc errors see
    http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~reese/EE4743/crcexplained.htm
    It's kind of technical, talking about how to create the CRC algorithm.

6. Tyr

Tyr Member

Please help me...I also just purchased the game myself...I have XP...and yeah...everytime I install it and click to play it...it just keeps telling me to put in the CD which I have done. What's wrong can anyone help