1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amount on dvd

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Alandvd06, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Alandvd06

Alandvd06 Member

Hey everyone. right i converted a movie from avi to dvd file and burned it. the movie is only 4.26gb or sumtin and the disc is 4.7GB is their a higher limit can go to? eg 7Gb and use shrink? im trying ta fit 2 dvd's onto a disc. thanks Alan

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hey Alandvd06
    For a single layer - DVD-5 the most it will hold is 4.38 gig - give or take a mb for lead in/ lead out. A little deceiving in how they are advertised.

To hold more you would need to burn to a dual layer - dvd-9 which holds around 7.95 gig.

You can add 2 dvd's in Shrink or Recode and have it compress the dvd to fit to a single layer. But quality may suffer.

3. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Single layer (SL) disks, DVD5s, hold about 4465 MB of burned data. Double layer (DL) disks, DVD9s, hold about 8125 MB of burned data. DL disks costs nearly 8 times what SL disks cost. It is possible to compress 2 titles to fit on a SL disk. However, there is usually a significant loss of video quality in doing so, especially if both titles are fairly large.

4. Alandvd06

Alandvd06 Member

yea but if i compress around 5 or 6gb then the quality will be better if i compress 7 or 8 gb....

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

You got it - less compression means better quality.

Since these are avis check the quality of the files before you compress them - some avis are better quality wise than others :)