1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analog Video Capture from Canon ES410

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ddwgd, Feb 23, 2004.

1. ddwgd

ddwgd Member

hey everyone... a new guy here. i've had my camcorder for a couple months now and i just got a GeForce MX 5200 video card with S-Video Input and i wanted to rip some home videos to my pc... well, i had this ATI adapter laying around that has three RCA inputs (left audio, right audio, video) that goes to an S-Video jack... well, i figured i could hook the camera up to it and connect it to the S-Video in on the graphics card and start ripping videos... but, uhh... NO.

after doing some research and trying several programs, i'm realizing this is going to be a pain. i can't get Windows XP or my nVidia drivers to recognize the S-Video or the camcorder... is there an easy way to do this?

i tried using Windows Movie Maker to capture, but that's also saying that it cannot find an input device to capture from... Stupid analog camcorders.

Thanks everyone!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Do you have the Nvidia WDM Drivers installed?? These are Different than the Graphic Card Drivers..You will need 2 sets of Drivers ,One for the Graphic Card so you can use your Monitor and one set of Drivers for the Capture Part of the Card..Since your PC Can not see the S-Video Port then I think this is what your Problem is...And for Captureing Analogue Video I would not use Windows Movie Maker because I believe it will only capture to Uncompressed AVI which will Suck up about 1gb per minute of Full resolution Video and or it will Capture to WMV which at Low Resolution and Low Bitrates will Be of Low Quality and at High Resolution and Bitrates you would need something like a Dual 3ghz PC..Even something Like Virtual-Dub or Virtual-VCR would be better for AVI Capture and something like WinDVR 3.0 would be good for Mpeg Capture...Cheers

3. ddwgd

ddwgd Member

Wow. Minion, you're awesome! Thank you very much! I got it all figured out and I finally got my videos stored on my HD and on CD. Thanks again!