1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying Problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Topbrass7, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Topbrass7

Topbrass7 Member

I built a new system in Feb (some specs in signature) and from day 1 I have had a glitch where every minute or so the sound stutters for like a second. Has anybody else had the same prob? I overclocked and it didn't help, added a sound card as well. Everything works great except the stutter.

Thank you.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Open task manager and view the CPU usage graph, see if it spikes when you hear the stutters, if it does, there's probably a program causing it. It's something I've had on two occasions. Changing my overclock solved it once, and changing sound cards changed it the other time.

3. Topbrass7

Topbrass7 Member

I've watched the cpu usage closely. It does not spike when the stutters happen. It does however appear to be "pulsing". Kind of like a heart beat, 0%-3% up to 35%-50%. Its in a rhythm but the stutter has no effect on the pulse or vice versa.

As far as overclocking, this problem has been there before and after overclock, no change.

Any ideas?

4. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

are you using xp or vista, and after adding the sound card did you disable the onboard sound in the BIOS?

5. Topbrass7

Topbrass7 Member

Running XP Media and yes yes I disabled the onboard sound.

6. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

mabey there is a problem with the mobo, but i would try getting updated drives for the sound first.

7. Topbrass7

Topbrass7 Member

I've been afraid its possibly the mobo. The problem was there with onboard sound then I added the sound card after with the same results. Has anybody ever had this same problem with the 680i sli mobo?

8. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

look at my sig lol

it has to be the crap motherboard :)

I tried lots of chips in mine and the only one it worked ok on was the E6600

lots of people are having problems with the 680i boards vI think Nvidia didn't do their homework properly

there is a new bios update out (p29) that may help :) didn't help me i still get (boings) playing black hawk down

this is their forum http://evga.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=13

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The EVGA 680i board is supposed to be excellent, but there you go. Nvidia chipsets are good at overclocking, but now I think of it, both of mine have had serious issues. Perhaps it's time to start veering away from them?

10. Topbrass7

Topbrass7 Member

Went with the new bios flash and the problem hasn't been corrected.