1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another...hard drive problem :-/

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by toapro, Aug 17, 2004.

1. toapro

toapro Member

well...i got my new HD but i cant get it to work! it keeps coming up as primary instead of slave...and i cant get it to be slave! i tried switching the jumper pin around a whole lot but its not working. Is it because i cant have 3 HD's at once? i need help quick cause my 80 gig is about to die...then ill lose everything. i need to put it all onto my new 200 gig. please help.

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Run Norton Ghost and it will backup your whole harddrive (compressed/decompressed) onto a couple of DVD-Rs. Then use Norton Ghost on the other machine and voila, your data is restored.

3. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

You can have 2 hard drives per IDE Cable - so on a normal motherboard you could have 4 hard drives and no CD players.

As each IDE cable has 2 channels you need to ensure that the jumpers on both devices are correct.

There are 3 jumper settings to consider on both:
    Primary
    Secondary
    Cable Select

Make sure that the other device is Primary

Are you saying that your device won't boot if you have both hard drives are in. If so make sure that the bootable hard drive is Active - Boot in to dos using a Win98 Starup disk type A:\fdisk and check that your drive is active.

Ghost is good though there should be no need to write to DVD etc Partition your new hard drive. Ghost your old hard drive to the second partition of your new hard drive, then restore to the first partition.

Hope this is of help

Phil