1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any decent burning software out there?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by rcm999, Dec 4, 2007.

1. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member

I am looking for a good all-around burning program. I don't want one with a lot of whistles and bells I'll never use. I just want to be able to burn a CD and/or DVD, append it if needed, and to be able to use longer than 16 character file names.

I've tried Roxio 8 and 9, and they're very temperamental, especially 9. Sometimes they'll load the disc contents to append, sometimes they won't; even on discs each/either one has burned. Neither really likes to erase RWs and they don't like DL DVDs, but they'll burn with about a 65% success rate. Roxio will support longer than 16 character file names, though.

Nero 6 and 7 both like DL DVDs fairly well, and will give about an 85% success rate but neither likes to erase RWs that much, they will not support longer than 16 character file names, and navigation in the task menu is repetitive and makes you go through some unnecessary steps. Loading appendable discs isn't much of a problem, but again if you have a longer file name on your original disc, Nero will truncate it down. The quality scan is a nice feature, but it's free on the net.

BurnImg is a very low profile program, it's free, but you cannot append discs.

Slysoft doesn't have a burning program that I know of where you can pick and choose files or folders to burn, and you cannot append a disc with CloneDVD or CloneCD. At least not that I've been able to see.

So. . . . . what's out there? Any recommendations? Thanks much!

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Roxio 7, 7.5, 8, 9, and 10 have worked great for me, but you have to have the horses, under the hood, to have it work properly. That, and proper computer maintenance.

What are your computer specs?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  3. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member