1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AnyDVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by aniwahal, Feb 20, 2005.

1. aniwahal

aniwahal Member

Hullo,
    Is running AnyDVD necessary?
    Can I not decrypt using only DVD Decrypter or DVDShrink?
    Burn is working well since last week, hence I dont want to upset the cart by trying out new ways yet.
    Cheers

2. bs0425

bs0425 Member

No, you do not need AnyDvd running all the time, however when you come across a movie (little black book, forgotten, resident evil 2, etc) that you can not backup, you will need it. I only start it up when I need it, normally after 2 failures. Hope this helps.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

DVD Shrink by itself can not decrypt the new movies with the new encryptions. Both Anydvd and Decrypter are updated to work on the new encryptions. If you want to use Shrink just like the way you did before then you need Anydvd running for the new encryptions. If you don't want to run Anydvd, then you need to use Decrypter first to copy the movie to your HD and then open the files in Shrink after. It all depends on how you want to do your movies. Either way will work but running Anydvd makes it easier.

Jerry

4. permatex

permatex Regular member

i use anydvd and 1-click copy together and i have yet to find a dvd i could not copy,true you have to pay for anydvd but it will be worth is with the new copyright schemes out and still coming,anydvd is upgraded as the need arise and upgrages are free to regietered users.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It's not necessary unless you wish to rip every DVD out there.

Fact. Since August, 2004 nothing has been done to DVD Shrink 3.2.15. Nothing is there to address the ARccOS or the Settec ALPHADVD encryptions - you need something else.

Just to clairify things,

The latest DVDD release was Jan. 5, 05 and it was to address the ARccOS encryption. That was the one refered to concerning RE2.

Since then, a new encryption came out in Germany and is used in releases like little black book and forgotten - this encryption is called Settec ALPHA-DVD. This encryption made it's debut on Jan. 18th, 05. -

Interestingly enough, AnyDVD released a new version on Jan. 17th, 05 that could rip it. Pretty kweel, Huh ? The encryption was broken a full day before it was released. Since then, vso has had several more updates, always "fine-tuning" their proggy. To date, AnyDVD is the only proggy that can handle 100% of all the encryptions out there. DVDD is a close second BUT,no cigar.

If you have AnyDVD, AND since it runs in the background and doesn't bother anything else, it seems pretty dumb not to just leave it alone. The idea of waiting until you've lost 2 discs escapes me - If you want to have some extra coasters, just grab 2 off the top of your stack, leave AnyDVD do it's thing all the time then everyone is happy -

I have AnyDVD running as well as DVD43 (the free one), yet I still rip with DVDD when doing episodel discs - like now, when I'm doing The Wire, season 2, because the best way to get every nuance of the original is to rip it in the ISO Mode. Everyone plays well together - what's the problem ?

If you haven't got AnyDVD, then there are a few discs you just won't be able to rip - use it free for 21-days THEN buy it. Unless something changes, AnyDVD should be on your shopping list -

Her Ya go should you require it ~> AnyDVD - http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

Cheers,

Pete

6. mejane

mejane Member

I am having problems with DVDD and AnyDVD. I have been trying to rip Spiderman2 and cannot. I rips to my harddrive but then I cannot open it to burn it with anything, not Nero, DVD Shrink, anything. What am I doing wrong? Help! (incidently I have successfully copied Little Blackbook so I did something right with AnyDVD)

jane

7. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Have you tried backing it up with Shrink. If you have AnyDVD running you should have no problem backing it up with Shrink.
    HW.

8. mejane

mejane Member

I have tried with Shrink, while it is analyzing I get an error message that reads: "dvdshrink has encountered an error and cannot continue. Programming error - exception occurred." I cannot even get to beginning to rip it.

I can rip it with DVD Decrypter but then nothing can even open it.

By the way, had the same exact thing happen on Hero.

help!

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I copied Spiderman 2 with CloneDVD and Anydvd with no problem. So I know Anydvd will decrypt it. Start playing the movie for a few seconds with your player software, then stop it and re-open Shrink and try again with Anydvd running in the background. It should work.

Jerry

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Jane, welcome to aD,

Spiderman 2 had 2 bad pressings recently. I have run across problems with them on other sites - Here's what to do -

On some occasions, when attempting to rip with DVD Decrypter in the "File" MODE, I've gotten unexplained errors, hitting "retry" has only produced the error again and again. - Here is a little "Trick" that has worked well for me - First create a folder named VIDEO_TS (just like that - as it is case sensitive). Then, when it doesn't seem to be going anywhere, you can try to hit "Cancel" and change the ripping MODE to ISO "Read". You might have to work at it because the error will try to come back BUT when you make the change and it starts to scroll the files on the right-hand side just go back and change the MODE back to FILE and it should open right up and begin to rip - remember to check that "Destination" and make sure it's going to the VIDEO_TS folder you made way back when :) continue on, you should be fine . . . .

Here are some extra "Tricks" for your "Hard to rip" DVD's -

1. This is a bit "wacky" BUT it has worked for some pple. Rebooting your PC (cleaning out all the memory) allows some discs to be seen better - As I said, it can't hurt and it's worth a try -

2. Begin by playing your DVD with your PC's player. Play the main feature for two or three minutes then open DVD Shrink, DVD X Copy or your weapon of choice. - As soon as you begin your rip turn off your player so it doesn't interfere with your analyzing. The playing beforehand is only so that your ripping program can "Find" your DVD.

3. Here's a good fix. Compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.3GB instead of the recommended 4360MB. I.e., Go into DVD Shrink, "Edit", "Preferences" then set the "DVD Target Size" to "Custom" and enter 4300MB as the size. Reducing the amount of Data to be burned it keeps your burning away from the disc's edges where the dye on poor quality DVD discs tends to be uneven and may even be brittle and flaking. Nero, DVD2One and most good burning applications will allow you to set the, "DVD Target size".

4. You may reduce the number of errors and "artifacts" (the "freezing", " skipping", pixelations and other picture abnormalities) when burning poor media by burning at a reduced speed. It has been my experience that burning at 2.4X will succeed where faster burns will not. Don't be surprised if you have to burn at 1X. Some discs you're lucky to have it burn DVD Video at all. It will take longer but what the heck, you're saving money with those "Cheap" discs, who cares about time when you're saving $$$$ (Lol). Since you're compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality soooo, movie only, please.

5. The "Magic cleaning" technique: Try cleaning your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're new and clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting it into your DVD tray, use a disc cleaner, eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub. As soon as you're finished, "Pop" it into your DVD tray and fire up your program. You would be surprised how many times your disc is now "seen" and works like a "Bad Dog". :)

NOW, if all of these fail I would put it down to a bad disc OR Mfgr error and return the disc for a replacement one. It may even be a regional problem affecting an entire batch. Though rare it has happened and should be considered. If this is so, buying a disc from another area OR, probably easier, wait some little time and exchange it again trying for a different batch.

Let me know which one worked -

Cheers,

Pete

11. mejane

mejane Member

Thanks Pete, I am going to try those. I suspect it may be a bad pressing. I tried to play it on my computer and playing it in Nero Showtime, it pixelates constantly. It will play on my DVD player.

Give me a day or so and I will let you know if any of those worked.

jane

12. mejane

mejane Member

Thanks Pete for the info, I had to get another Spiderman2 - it was a bad pressing. Second one was perfect - no probs.

jane

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Jane,

Yes Mam, it doesn't happen often BUT we do have to be on the lQQkout for it :)

I'm glad that your problem has been solved.Let's not think about saying "Goodbye" just yet -
    We'd still like you to stop by and visit even when you don't have problems you need help with - "Pop" in when you can and cruise around the different forums. You never know when we might have something that can make your computer work a little easier. You might pickup some valuable tips to boot. Checkout the "Safety Valve", it's a place where we "Chew the fat" on just about every topic under the sun. Heck, check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games OR p2p topics.

As an extra added bonus, when you see another person with a problem and you feel you might know something that could help, join in. As the Ogre said to the Cyclops, " Three heads are better than two." (Lol) You'll then see how much fun we have helping others. As a current member of our little club you can welcome the new guys in -

We'll look forward to seeing you. "Me ?" You'll find me hangin' out over there by the water cooler, sittin' under the potted palm with my feet propped up, sipping on a "cold one", waiting for the next "Newbie" with a problem that I can help them with - maybe you'd like to join me . . . ? I'll be lQQkin for you ~ ~>

Till then, I'll be Sea'n you -

Pete ;p)

14. mejane

mejane Member

Thanks Pete, I have been hanging around for awhile and have learned alot. My next project is to figure out how to convert a VCD/SVCD to DVD.

Maybe you could point me to the right forum?

jane

15. wild77

wild77 Guest

Directly from LIGHTNING UK!
    [bold]Newbie[/bold]
    so basically we can't rip from these discs, correct?

[bold]LIGHTNING UK![/bold]
    no, that's not correct.

You can rip them, you just might need to use your brain a little bit.

16. mejane

mejane Member

ok wildthing, help me use my brain -- what does R1, etc mean? and how do you get around it?

jane

17. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

Region/Zone 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 Different parts of the world has different zone or region for dvds

18. wild77

wild77 Guest

R1 is a region 1 disc U.S and Canada

Depending on the movie you can go here and do a search if you have problems in there forums all these movies can be done LIGHTNING UK! is the author of Decrypter

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

I have not found the need for AnyDVD as of yet!Yes it is easier and works well.

19. permatex

permatex Regular member

to all our anydvd users out there is a new revision 4.5.8.1 out 2 mar 05.if by chance you were not notified be anydvd,go to slysoft.com ,click download and click sownload anydvd.

20. little155

little155 Regular member

I just down loaded the upgrade 4581 and now it doesn't start automatically like it did before I downloaded the upgrade. What is wrong? Is it something I haven't done? Can someone help me?
    George