1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone have the Liteon LVW5005

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by behrad, Jan 20, 2005.

1. behrad

behrad Regular member

Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone has had any sort of experience with the Liteon LVW5005 unit. This is reported to be able to do:
    Record from TV, camcorder and other video devices
    DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD-R/DVD-RW/CD-R/CD-RW Recordable Disc Support and playback. I am thinking of buying this device to transfer existing VHS and HI8 movies to DVD as well as record from the tuner the odd show from TV.
    This unit is availble here in Sydney Australia for $400 through Strathfield car radios. I appreciate any and all your help and advice.

2. rckowal

rckowal Member

3. chips4yrs

chips4yrs Member

I'll post my response over at cdfreaks too but here my take on the Liteon 5005

I just picked up a Liteon 5005 Friday night at Kmart, and it’s going back Monday morning. Even after talking to tech support twice and installing the latest firmware from their website, it still decides to stop recording at random while trying to record from a VCR. What’s worse is, even if you baby-sit it and restart recording right away, it does no good because when you go to finalize the disk, it fails and you end up with wasted time and a junk disc. I successfully burnt one DVD but after that it never worked again which leads me to believe it’s something more severe then firmware. Sounds like they have a hardware problem. I’ll buy another brand Monday.

4. behrad

behrad Regular member

thanks chips4yrs.
    I appreciate it.

5. chips4yrs

chips4yrs Member

You're welcome.
    I would also suggest you avoid the ILO brand sold at W-Mart. It's a Liteon with a different name but the same problems. I'm looking into a Panasonic w/harddrive next.

6. scotrek

scotrek Guest

I have 2 LVW-5101'S they work good but sometimes I have to unplug them to work them, they lock up.

7. Angelwing

Angelwing Guest

I check ed on CDFreaks and see that most users have had good success with this player. The new 1098 firmware is available and it seems to work like a charm! Yay!

8. chips4yrs

chips4yrs Member

I installed this firmware upgrade and it made no difference. Maybe I had a real lemon...

9. OZ132HOME

OZ132HOME Member

I have had the 5007 from Sears for 3 weeks, and copied a dozen or so old VHS tapes for archiving with no problem, using Sony media. So far, so good... It even copies SOME DVD movies, though others give the error message "protected disc". Of course, I would NEVER make illiegal copies of copyrightred material, as these complaints are investigated by the FBI!

10. OZ132HOME

OZ132HOME Member

I have had the 5007 from Sears for 3 weeks, and copied a dozen or so old VHS tapes for archiving with no problem, using Sony media. So far, so good... It even copies SOME DVD movies, though others give the error message "protected disc". Of course, I would NEVER make illiegal copies of copyrightred material, as these complaints are investigated by the FBI!