1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apparent Hardware Conflict - Help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by JaniceQ, Jun 9, 2007.

1. JaniceQ

JaniceQ Member

I bought a new computer a few months ago. I tried moving the firewire card from my old system to the new one, and I ran into a problem - when I tried to capture from my DV camcorder, I got control and sound but no picture. And, of course, I was unable to capture. I moved it back to the old computer, verified the problem was not the cable, card, or camera, and tried buying a new card for the new system. I still had the same problem.

After playing around some, I got it to work in another slot, but when I restarted, it didn't work again. I fiddled around with it a bit, and I have come to the conclusion that there is some kind of conflict between the card and the mouse. If I install the card and boot with the camera connected without the mouse, then add the mouse, all works fine. It continues to work thereafter so long as I boot with the camera connected and on. If, however, the camera is not connected and I boot with the mouse connected, then connect the camera, it does not work anymore, and to get it to start working again, I have to uninstall the card, disconnect the mouse, and boot again without the mouse (and not connect it until the camera is on). In any case, if I restart the computer (mouse connected or not) without the camera connected and on, I don't get a picture. But if the mouse is connected, I can't re-install it either.

I have tried a PS2 mouse and a USB mouse. It doesn't matter. I don't know if it matters, but my keyboard is PS2. The rest of the HW is as follows:

MSI945P motherboard
    2 GB DDR-2 667 MHZ RAM
    Intel Dual Core 3.4 4M processor
    GForce 7300GS graphics card
    Network card, DVD burner, etc.

Normally, the computer is connected to the monitor, keyboard, and mouse via a switch that allows me to switch between two computers. I tried connecting all the peripherals directly, though, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Is there something in the BIOS that I need to change? Is there some other way to overcome this?

2. elokito

elokito Regular member

is the power supply strong enough?

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sounds like an irq conflict between the firewire card & the mouse. put the card back in the old computer if you can to see what the irq the card is using. with the present computer, see what the irq the mouse is using tho i think it is irq 12.