1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arch Linux for Gamecube

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by dupowdis, Jan 24, 2008.

1. dupowdis

dupowdis Member

Im not running linux, or any of that, and I dont know what all that complicated stuff means for setting up Arch on the gamecube.
    Theres a guide for it here (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gamecube_Tutorial), but I really dont get it.
    Can anyone PLEASE make me an ISO file that I can just burn to a CD?
    Or is that impossible?

2. varnull

varnull Guest

Well that all looks straight forward enough.. for a pretty advanced linux user. The article assumes a lot of prior knowledge with things like NFS servers.

The list of prerequisites is a little daunting.. an NFS server, a PC running linux which can double up by running the NFS (to build the kernel and modules) and the skills to debug the process when.. not IF.. it starts throwing errorsYou could possibly avoid using a NFS.. but that would probably require changing the $path statements in a lot of locations. The writer seems to have chosen to use an NFS for convenience having one on hand, and probably only a small SD card.
    It doesn't seem to include a GUI ..so it's going to be a standard console. (I may be wrong.. but I don't see any desktop or window manager in the packages)

Do you have all the hardware listed? AR and all the rest? If so it should work with some tweaking exactly as laid out.. The writer does appear on casual reading to have a good understanding of the process.. and has managed to make the guide understandable to me.. someone with no knowledge of the GC and it's boot methods.
    And no.. nobody is going to make an iso. It wouldn't work. The GC doesn't seem capable of accessing an operating system from a disk, otherwise he would have gone that way.
    This is all very experimental... there are a couple of scripts still missing.. one which is referred to just doesn't exist...and to be brutal.. probably impossible unless you understand what
    cd arch/ppc/boot/images/zImage.elf
    doltool -d zImage.elf
    psolore zImage.dol
    means.. (the most straightforward bit of script on the page, and even I can't work out if that is supposed to be local or on the NFS)

There must be GC/linux sites around.. unless nobody else has bothered.. All this looks very much like an offshoot of the "run linux on anything" obsession some tinkerers have.. heh heh heh.. I can run linux on old 3502 based NCR tills. Pointless but fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2008