1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Xbox Mod Chips Illegal?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by cubcake1, Sep 14, 2004.

1. cubcake1

cubcake1 Member

Im sure its been asked a million times, however, please clarify if you know for certain, in the USA, is it illegal to open your xbox, put in a mod chip running linux, close the xbox and use it for your own enjoyment.

If the answer is no they are NOT illegal, at what point do they become illegal?

2. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

Here in the USA modchips are and will always be illegal. Every now and then I read reports of vendors being closed down and having their inventories confiscated for selling unflashed chips. ( If you come across someone selling in the US, it's just because they haven't been found out yet). The chip itself is illegal because of its "reverse engineering" purpose and even more so when you add the illegal bios ( X2 4983,M7ef ect) and applications that allow you to steal/copy games that were not paid for. You won't get in trouble for purchasing a modchip ( most vendors disguise the contents on the invoice) but if you should take the risk of selling, then it's possible to have your home raided by local police at 3 A.M. if they are notified and make the decision to investigate.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  3. BenD188

BenD188 Member

Modchips are not illegal.... The things that you flash on them are illegal. It is just a chip, it does nothing unless you flash things onto it. Thats why people can sell them. There arent many people selling them pre-flashed though because that is illegal and they have been shut down.

4. cubcake1

cubcake1 Member

I see that there are still some who believe one or the other. I personally beleive that they are not illegal, just like the book that shows you how to make an automatic weapon is not illegal. Installing something that would cercumvent security may be, but owning one that only runs linux certainly wouldnt be. Id like to see something in writing however, just so I know.

5. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

I guess we should invite a Microsoft representative to post their comments on the subject. I wonder if MS knows about this site?

6. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

7. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Modchips are legal in the usa. They are not however legal in the uk.

Xbox modchips are no good without being flashed, they will not do anything so therefore the only thing illegal is the bios.

8. azn_kda

azn_kda Regular member

9. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

matty8887, you answer the question right on target!. mostly all modchip shops in the us dont flash your chips, they wont even answer your emails if you ask such question, they wont even flash your chip on your premoded xbox that you buy from them.. because like martty said, its not the chip, its the bios; and thats why you dont ask:
    "where do i get bios such and such"
    because, downloading and asking this question is illegal and i have to remind people, its against forum rules. modchips are legal.