1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus Striker Extreme or Abit IN9 32x MAX

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rubixcube, May 27, 2007.

1. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Hi all,

I am looking at getting a new computer very soon, and I have heard some excellent things about both of these mobos. Now comes the part where I have to choose between them. I currently have an Abit AN8 and it's been pretty good to me for 2 years now, but that alone won't make me pick the IN9 over the Striker.

To make it easy, I'll categorize my pros and cons.

Abit IN9
    Pros:
    Good overclocking support
    Abit have been good to me before
    Cooling setup
    Flash looking boot screen (LOL)
    Wi-Fi

Cons:
    Immature BIOS
    Various bugs become apparent when tweaking FSB at certain multiples (memory bandwidth decrease etc.)
    680i chipset on NB only, 590(i think) on SB

Asus Striker Extreme
    Pros:
    Has lots more BIOS revisions than the Abit
    User friendly POST error indicator
    680i chipset on NB and SB
    Good cooling setup too

Cons:
    Extremely picky with RAM!!!!!!!

Which brings me to my big problem. The RAM I want is
    G.SKILL 2x1gig CL4 DDR2 800Mhz (PC2-6400) Model: F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK
    Good latency 4-4-3-5 when compared to say, some Corsair (same price) with 5-5-5-12. Anyway, the G.Skill is NOT on the Striker Extreme qualified vendor list that Asus engineers have released :( Does this mean that I will CERTAINLY have problems, or that it is just not recommended for me to use such RAM? I'm fine with un-recommended stuff, hey, what's overclocking for?

If ANYONE can find a review comparing these two boards (I've read HEAPS of reviews but NONE have these boards together), PLEASE post the link here :)

My decision won't be based on the RAM alone, because I can always just get different stuff I guess, but I'm looking for anything that could swing me one way or the other instead of just being stuck in the middle.

Thanks heaps,
    Rubix

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  2. funky22

funky22 Guest

I have aw9d-max and its amazing i was reading allot reviews of these 2 mobos and these are great mobos i suggest abit becose that digital pwm and uguru chip allot users say that is better for overclocking but asus is really buggy and crashes allot whn overclocking read some reviews and test between them and good luck with chosing i will wait for dd3 before new mobo :)

3. funky22

funky22 Guest

go on anadtech,tomshardware,firingsquad,hexus net for reviews or just google model name and review

4. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

yeah i've googled them both and read every review on the first two pages, but nothing is helping me swing one way or the other. PLease help!