1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Burning

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Jay05, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I have a couple questions regarding audio.
    1. I have a sony cd player which reads mp3s and something else called Atrac. Does anyone know what that is?
    2. Which can contain more songs in a blank 700mb cd? MP3's or .wma?
    3. Is it possible to burn (regarding question 2) it in a dvd-r? I mean if that's possible I can store all my music there.

Thanx for all your time and help~

2. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

Hi,

1. ATRAC: Adaptive Transform Acoustic Coding for MiniDisc. ATRAC is an audio coding system based on psychoacoustic principles. The input signal is divided into three subbands which are then transformed into the frequency domain using a variable block length. Transform coefficients are grouped into nonuniform bands to reflect the human auditory system, and then quantized on the basis of dynamic sensitivity and masking characteristics. ATRAC compresses compact disc audio to approximately 1/5 of the original data rate with virtually no loss in sound quality.

2. mp3 can contain much, much more in a blank CD. You can hold hundreds of songs with pretty good quality.

3. I am pretty sure you can burn mp3 to a DVD-R but I don't think your CD player can play it. Usually, you would only do this for backup. Some DVD players might also be able to play an audio DVD so that's another reason you might do it.

Hope this helps!

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Jay05

Both MP3 and WMA come in at about the same size so on a whole you can store about the same of each on a standard CDR. Some say that 96K WMA can match a 128K MP3, in which case then you could store a few more WNA's than MP3's. I did a spectral analysis comparison of both and I found that the lower the WMA file size actually lost some of its high frequencies. I did this test to see how many songs I can store on my portable flash memory MP3 player. In the end I went with 128K MP3.

About Atrac here:http://www.minidisc.org/aes_atrac.html

4. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

So is it better to make a cd full of MP3? or a cd full of ATRAC? Which is better? Which contains more songs? Quality?
    Thanx for your time and help~

5. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

Although mp3 can hold more space, I have read that ATRAC has better quality. It also depends on what kbs you are burning at. If you burn mp3 at 192kbs, then it might have pretty good quality but that ruins the purpose of mp3 (it would take up more space). So, if you plan on carrying large amounts of music around, go with mp3. However, if you want music with a higher quality and less music, then I would go with ATRAC. Hope this helps!

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You might also want to add the compatibility factor; some formats are more universal than others. I don't think that you need to go any higher than 128K with MP3 most listening test show that few if any can tell the difference and if you use a spectral analyzer you won't see any real hit is HF.

7. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

So with 128k which is better overall? Atrac or MP3? Which do you suggest using?
    Thanx

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

the better one is the one with the greatest compatibility. In listening test most people couldn't tell the difference between the original CD and the 128K MP3 produced by the lame codec.

9. JoeB

JoeB Member

Did I miss something here. He also ask about burning music files to a dvd for playing continuously in a dvd player... Does anyone know if that can be done. I have tried without success, I probably did something wrong..

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

JoeB

He said that he wanted to play MP3s on his DVD player using a normal CDR and most DVD Players play MP3s. MP3's are the best choice for that, good qualityand it needs less space which means more songs and longer play.

From the original post.

11. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Thanx for all da replies~
    I just need to know from my previous post regarding cd players.
    ::: So is it better to make a cd full of MP3? or a cd full of ATRAC? Which is better? Which contains more songs? Quality?:::::
    Thanx again~

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Jay05

Can your DVD player play ATRAC?

13. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I got the DVD thing cleared up...thanx...
    But what about cd players?

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Jay that's a different story. I don't own any CD Players that aren't DVD Players, I don't see any reason to.

15. JoeB

JoeB Member

Sophocles, thanks for the correction. I misread his request. I was also interested in playing music on the DVD player, but I am trying to used DVD's. Not getting much except a few new coasters and very well used r/w's..