1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio problems converting compressed avi to dvd

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by marianom, Jun 12, 2004.

1. marianom

marianom Member

I transferred some home videos recorded from my DV cam to my hard drive using the Windows movie maker. Upon completion the .avi file weighed at a hefty 13 GB. I shrank it down to approx. 1.5 GB using a program called Ashampoo. Now whenever I try to convert the .avi to dvd/vcd/svcd using Nero Express 5, I am unable to hear any sound. The video quality is excellent but there is no audio. Is it because the file has been shrunk, or am I doing something wrong? What are my options? Thanks for your time and I appreciate any help.

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

Don't know what Ashampoo is but, next time, convert the DV avi file directly. I'm guessing it probably added compression and/or decreased the bitrate. DV avi isn't that clean a source to start with. After that, it's probably worse.

And, don't use Nero Express to encode. Use something better such as TMPGEnc.

3. marianom

marianom Member

What do you mean by converting the avi directly? Also I've used TMPGEnc and it split the file in 2 pieces. One is a 3.1 GB ".m2v" file and the other is 625 MB ".wav" file. Now how do I get that to a DVD? What program is the most convenient being that I am a relative amatuer when it comes to converting video? Thanks again for the help!

4. zjmedia

zjmedia Member

5. marianom

marianom Member

Thanks....that worked out just fine for me!!!!