1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio/Video synch problem - but not in all players?!?

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Pootle, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Pootle

Pootle Member

I have a downloaded AVI file which the audio is advanced from the video - but only in [bold]some[/bold] players.

If I play the video in Windows Media Player 9 [bold]OR[/bold] Quicktime 6.3 [bold]OR[/bold] Media Player Classic 6.4.6.7 then the audio is advanced by about 4 seconds.

If I play the AVI in WinAmp 2.95 (an MP3 player with video capabilities) then everything is fine - video and audio are synched.

How can this be? And can I change the file so it will play in Windows Media Player 9?

I haven't tried AVIFixed yet, but I'm mystified as to how the audio/video synch can be different in different players. Any ideas?

Many thanks for your help!

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Are you sure the audio is in sync in these other players?

Youre audio desync seems to be uniform throughout the movie, well at least thats what Im thinking after reading your post...

Read this post for some help:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/49020

3. Pootle

Pootle Member

> Are you sure the audio is in sync in these other players?

The difference between the players is VERY noticeable - WinAmp is perfectly synced, the other three are out of sync by about 4 seconds.

Since it's primarliy an audio program , could WinAmp be doing something to optimise audio playback which the other applications are not doing?

4. Kingd

Kingd Guest

This happens alot with xvid encoded avi's. Its usually a software issue as video processing can be very intensive and on older, slower machines, this can lead to audio desync. Try installing the latest ffd show filter (alpha) thats out now. Not sure about rules for links but here it is: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/
    Make sure to download the latest alpha if using winxp/2000. If using 98 or me, get the alpha dated 4-24-2003 because the latest one is not working for 98. That should allow you to play the movie in windows media player without any desync.

5. NTX

NTX Member

I'm having similar desync problems too.

I've ripped and encoded 2 movies to XviD. They have sync problems in WMP 9, Media Player Classic, WMP 6.4, but play perfectly on DivX Player 2.5. I'm using ffdshow. Any clues?

Any recommendations for a subtitle capable player that's not prone to desync problems?

thanks,
    NTX

6. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Okay lets try again, which ffd show do you have? The stable one is very old, there are newer alpha ones that are better. Bsplayer hasnt given me any problems but then again i have a suped up pc.

7. NTX

NTX Member

I have the latest stable ffd. I hadn't tried the alpha due to being paranoid of extra problems.

NTX.

8. Kingd

Kingd Guest

The newest alpha works fine, try that one. The stable one is so old. Also get the latest xvid koepi alpha and try that.

9. NTX

NTX Member

Ok, it turns out I did have ffdshow alpha installed. But only the stable koepi XviD.

I just tried the newest zoomplayer. That one has less desync than the other players, but it's still there.

So far, only divx player 2.5 keeps a/v sync with my movies.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

thx,
    NTX.

10. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

So which one is decoding your movie?

FFDSHOW or the xvid codec?

11. shabbir

shabbir Member

In media player 6.4, it is playing VOB files for windows 2000. But I want to play .VOB files in media player 9 latest. Any one help me on this. In mdeia player 6.4, when i used codic that is (http://www.digital-digest.net/downloads/files/encode/VOB_Filters_104.zip), then it is working fine. But it is not working for media player 9. Any idea about this.

12. Pootle

Pootle Member

I've installed FFDShow 2003-05-23 alpha, but unfortunately it has made no difference. In all apps except WinAmp The audio is still advanced by about 4 seconds.

To check that it was indeed the FFDShow codec that was processing the file, I inverted the video in the FFDShow config box and sure enough it was inverted.

Is it possibly anything to do with the different way the apps present audio to the sound card?

My system BTW is Windows XP Home running on a 2GHz Pentium 4 so it isn't exactly a slouch.

Many thanks for you continued help and advice!

13. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Have you tried uninstalling winamp and then playing the avi in your other players?

14. Pootle

Pootle Member

UNINSTALL WinAmp!?! I'd rather shove wasps up my arse!

OK - I will give this a go at the weekend. Why might it help?

15. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Just in case winamp is the source of your synch problems.

16. shabbir

shabbir Member

In media player 6.4, it is playing VOB files for windows 2000. But I want to play .VOB files in media player 9 latest. Any one help me on this. In mdeia player 6.4, when i used codic that is (http://www.digital-digest.net/downloads/files/encode/VOB_Filters_104.zip), then it is working fine. But it is not working for media player 9. Any idea about this.

17. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Eh...Im not sure about that, since Ive never tried using WMP 9 to playback vobs...Ill look into that for you.

Meanwhile, you can use Mediaplayer classic to playback your vobs, or anyother movie file.