1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio volume in VCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by boris, Apr 24, 2002.

1. boris

boris Member

I'm following your guide DVD -» VCD and DivX+VobSub -» VCD.
    In short :
    -rip
    -DVD2AVI
    -VFAPICovert
    -VirtualDub
    -VobSub Filter for VirtualDub
    -Frameserving from VDub
    -TMPGEnc
    -VCDEasy

Everythig goes well, until I play my VCD in any standalone DVD player (Sony, Nintaus, Pionner ...), the sound must be put in maximum to be possible to hear .

I think is a problem of settings in TMPGEnc.
    Could anyone help me ???

Ps I don't mind if some PC sound cards won't be able to play it.

Many thanks

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

This is due the fact that DVD discs have much, much bigger dynamic scale than for example audio CDs -- therefor the audio seems to be much lower when you watch VCD as your DVD player doesn't necessarily adjust the dynamic range correctly for those discs and therefor some people prefer to "normalize" the audio track -- i.e. to increase the volume of the audio track. The negative aspect in this practice is that by doing this, you reduce the dynamic scale of the audio and the huge volume level difference in for example speech and car blasts isn't that huge as it was originally intended to be. You also lose some quality of the higher volume scenes by doing the normalizing.