1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australian Tv's in America

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by NicHt, Jan 21, 2007.

1. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

I was wondering, If I bought a Power transformer and tried to use my australian tv in the US would the tuner be able to pick up the Time Warner cable connection? Thanks.

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i think australian TVs, like european ones, operate on different resolutions than north american TVs. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that could cause an issue for you, too.

3. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Australia, like Europe, = PAL, USA = NTSC.
    So unless that TV supports NTSC, then it'll be black and white image all the way.

4. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Well I can play American Tapes VCR on my tv which states NTSC compadible, does this help?

5. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Anyone? 'Trying to get topic bumped instead of reposting."

6. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

No, Australian TVs (which are same as European TVs) wont work in States without heavy hacking:

-The tuner wont work at all, the broadcast transmission is completely different (applies to both, analog and digital TV)

-The power plug is different (smallest problem, you can buy plug adapters for $5 in any airport)

-The power supply is different (U.S.: 115V / 60Hz, Australia: 230V / 50Hz) -- you can buy adapters, but finding adapter that has enough "oomph" for a TV is quite challenging (usually 115V -> 230V adapters are suitable for stuff like mobile phone chargers, etc)

-TV system is NTSC in States and PAL in Europe. Here you're lucky, as we living in PAL countries usually have TVs that are capable of taking NTSC input as well (as you stated that you can watch NTSC tapes on your TV .. whereas virtually none of American TVs can take PAL input, meaning that Americans can't simply connect PAL video source to their TV)

So, in order to use your Australian PAL TV in states you basically need:

-American tuner -- easiest option is to get a cable box from the U.S. cable operator that hooks up with your TV via HDMI or component plug (Americans don't have SCART)

-voltage/frequency converter that has enough Watts to operate your TV (typical small converters are for 10-30W and TVs tend to require more) -- this is the hard part..

This coming from a guy who has moved from country to country too many times :)

7. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Thanks! THis really helped. I reply Fromt he master xD
    I Just bought a $100 19" TV From walmart, not the best move, tv menus and instructions are in spanish xD but I tried to hook it up and bam! No reception, now I have to wait 2 weeks for time warner to come over and install (Or fix) the cable outlet, this is the land lords fault... can i get him to pay for the installation?
    :D thanks anyway dRD