1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Authored DVD won't play on stand alone player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by symbiosis, May 2, 2003.

1. symbiosis

symbiosis Member

Sorry to post this again - but not sure if this belongs in VCD or here ?

Hi

Please help as I'm slowing going insane with this !!!

I have VCD rips from DVDX that I want to put onto a DVD-R disk. I have converted the VCD files and they are accepted and play fine in SpruceUp 1.0. I author my disk in SpruceUp and the simulation plays fine. Unfortunatly, SpuceUp dosn't seem to like my burner and so I have tried a) Producing an image file b) Producing export of files

I then use Nero (latest edition) to try and burn them using either burn image or DVD/video options from Nero's menu

I'm using a DVD-R RW disk to cut down on thrown away disks ! The disk burns fine and will play as a DVD on my burner BUT won't play on either my other DVD drive OR my stand alone player !!! (stand alone player is a Cyberhome 512 - burner is LG multi writer 4208b)

What am I doing wrong ? Any suggestions to save me going mad/chucking the whole thing out the window would be much appreciated !

Ta (still sane just)

Symbiosis

2. MikeBUK

MikeBUK Guest

2 things (don't know if they'll help). First try burning at 1x only and check the result. Second why do you want the files on DVD? You would probably be better off burning to VCD(MPEG 1)or SVCD(MPEG 2 with plugin) as there will not be much difference in quality and no conversion necessary.

3. symbiosis

symbiosis Member

Thanks for that Mike -
    For some reason, Nero will only let be burn @ 1x anyway (despite my burner being 2x), so I know that dosn't help.

The reason I want the flicks on DVD-R as opposed to CDR is for two reasons A) To back em up and get the space back on my HDD B) So I can get 3 VCD flicks on one DVD disk - less storage, no annoying having to change disks mid movie.

I may have to try another burning s/ware and see if that helps.

The thing I find odd is that when I load the disk in my burner drive - it pops open my dvd software and plays it. Yet, when I try it in my other DVD rom drive - it says no disk !!!

It's almost as if the disk hasn't been finalised or something so will only read in the drive that created it ?

Any further thoughts from anyone out there appreciated