1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI PAL TO NTSC

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by seanhite, Mar 19, 2005.

1. seanhite

seanhite Member

i have some AVI files that are supposedly in PAL format. is there anyway to convert these so they will play on a standalone dvd player? i use clone cd and also have sonic my DVD that came with my computer. any help is greatly appreciated.

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Your average video converter should do it with no problems. The output is likely to be mpg.

3. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

canopus procoder is the only mpeg encoder that can convert pal to ntsc or vice versa properly.

4. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

That's not entirely true. I've converted between the two with both Tmpg and Cucusoft without any problems. It is suggested not to do it but these programs will convert it.

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Just to stay on the 'tutorial' side, AVI files are neither PAL or NTSC. They are simply a form of compressed movies. You can either convert (without too much expense, using the best settings) to a PAL/NTSC mpeg with Cucusoft or TMPGenc or view them on a DVD player capable to view directly DivX movies (if they are DivX-compressed movies) making a simple 'data CD' which contains them.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  6. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

i wasnt saying that tmpgenc or whatever other mpeg encoder you use cant convert pal to ntsc or vice versa, they can, what i meant was that those converters wont do the job properly. canopus encodes in a way that you dont get that 'jittery' effect which you see in motion scenes when you encode pal to ntsc or vice versa with tmpgenc ect ect....sometimes it will be more noticable and sometimes not, it doesnt really matter anyway as long as it looks good for you.