1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi picture problem

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Cassius2, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Cassius2

Cassius2 Member

i have downloaded an avi file and the problem is that when i tried to open it with windows media player i am getting the sound but not the picture. i have run the software "gspot" and it informed that i have compatable codecs to view this movie. i tried to view the file with the alpha player that comes with DivX but still unable to view the picture.

Any ideas pls what i may try next ?

Thanks in advance !

2. mac71

mac71 Guest

Where did the file come from? Downloaded? Ripped fron DVD?

3. Cassius2

Cassius2 Member

i downloaded the file and it is 699MB.

4. mac71

mac71 Guest

I know you say you tried Gspot, but alos use AVIcodec and load the AVI file into this program.

If this program also tells you at the bottom with the video details that it is supported I would be ready to say there is something wrong with the file you downloaded.

What program did you use to download this file?

Also do you have any problems rendring the file in Gspot?_X_X_X_X_X_[small] Want to test a Mans character? Give him Power! [/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2003
  5. Cassius2

Cassius2 Member

i downloaded it using Flashget, but i always use flashget for downloading avi files, and i never had any problem with them. the last time i had a similar problem, gspot told me that i had xvid missing, i downloaded that and the file worked. This time i can't understand, because since gspot tells me that the required codecs are installed, i don't know what else to try.

6. Cassius2

Cassius2 Member

some development in my matter: i have shared the avi file over a LAN network, and on my friend's PC, the file is working fine (both picture and sound). Therefore, I have concluded that the file is not damaged. However, i tested it on Windows Meida Player (the same version which i tested on my pc.) Which codecs, do you think i shall try to download since, gspot told me that i have compatable codecs ?

On my pc i have installed DivX and XviD.

Thanks

7. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

You can try using the FFDshow filter to playback your movies. The codec used to encode your movie is most likely supported with ffdshow.