1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to dvd no audio Please Help!

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mudville1, Dec 31, 2010.

1. mudville1

mudville1 Member

Hi,

I have Nero 8. There are other threads around the internet that address my issue, however, the resolutions for those threads do not work for me. Here is what's going on:

I have an .avi file of a movie. When I play it in Nero Showtime, the audio is awesome...crisp, clear, and synchronized properly with the video. I used Nero 8 to make a DVD, but the DVD has no sound. So, I double-clicked on the file and increased the volume to full. Still no sound.

Then, I downloaded and used DVDFlick and created an .iso file. I used imgburn to create a DVD and still no sound. I then downloaded afreecodec and that program tells me that the .iso file has no problems and that my codec is .mp3, which, I believe should be no problem for Nero or imgburn to use in application to the DVD burning process.

So, please, can someone tell me what in the world is going on here?
    And can someone please help me finish this thing?

Thank you,
    Troy

2. attar

attar Senior member

Is the problem playing the burned DVD on the PC or a standalone DVD player.

3. permatex

permatex Regular member

play the avi file on the computer,if no sound the problem may be that the original file was recorded without sound in which case you will need to check the settings of the software used to record the avi file.

4. mudville1

mudville1 Member

Thank you both for your replies! :)

@attar: The problem is when I play it back on the PC immediately after it is burned. I didn't even bother with a regular DVD player, because I figured that if it doesn't work on the computer, why in the world would it work on a standard DVD player.

@permatex:
    Here is what I wrote in the original post:

"I have an .avi file of a movie. When I play it in Nero Showtime, the audio is awesome...crisp, clear, and synchronized properly with the video."

The video is just as crisp and clear. The transfer (this was a VHS-movie only) is dazzling.

I'll be awaiting your reply.

Best regards,
    Troy

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  5. attar

attar Senior member

I admire your solid commitment to your convictions, but it (the audio) might work on a DVD player if there was in fact a compliant audio stream - and it may not play on the PC because there is no AC3 filter installed.

6. mudville1

mudville1 Member

Okay, I'll try it out and let you know.

Thanks,
    Troy

7. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

can also (and heres a stunner) be the audio channel encoded on the disk.. maybe you have burned it with audio on stream 2 or 3 .. your dvd playing software will have a setting to check which stream it's trying to play

8. permatex

permatex Regular member

if you recorded the avi movie file on your computer,you should be able to play this file on your computer providing you have the required codecs software installed on the computer check afterdawn codecs for one for your operating system.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  9. mudville1

mudville1 Member

@attar: So, here it is:

1. Nero 8 with .avi file - DVD player doesn't even recognize the disc.
    2. DVD Flick switching .avi to .iso then burning with ImgBurn - Does not play audio on PC, but audio plays on DVD player, and the picture is tight.
    3. VOB folders created with DVD Flick burned with Nero 8 - Audio works on PC and DVD player, but the video pixelates slightly during movement. Not bad, but not that great either.

@permatex: I know what codecs are, but I don't know how to find one or assign one if I need to...sorry. I'm sort of new to this sort of thing. I've always just burned DVDs by using DVDFab, DVD Shrink, and Nero 8. I have never absolutely had to make a DVD from an .avi file.

10. attar

attar Senior member

Use ImgBurn in preference to Nero for burning.

This pixelation (that is, the image breaking into squares?) is it apparent when you play back the dvd files that DVD Flick saves in the folder on the HDD or is it the burned disk?

To be clear, you are not referring to the toothed edged that might be apparent when interlaced video is played on a PC monitor (it should not be apparent on a TV screen).

11. permatex

permatex Regular member

go to afterdawn and open the AUDIO&VIDEO section,open codecs from list and check out the K-lite codec pack full file 6.7.0,download and install on your computer.this software will allow you to play an avi file movie on the computer before you burn to dvd if you want to.this will give you an idea as to how the picture and sound is prior to burning a dvd.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  12. mudville1

mudville1 Member

@attar:

Yes, the "pixelating" on the PC becomes kind of a smudgy look on the TV. I will use the ImgBurn from now on as opposed to Nero in the situation described. Thank you for your help!

@permatex:

I will do that! Thank you for your help as well!