1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to DVD Q...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by CaesarM, Aug 19, 2004.

1. CaesarM

CaesarM Member

hi,,

i'm new here and this is my 1st post,, and sorry if this has been dicussed, but my english is not that good and i could not choose the right words to search,,

here is my problem:

i have 3 avi movies, 2 of them around the size of 800mb, and the other one is 1.5 gb. I want to make a compilation dvd-r with at least 2 of the 3 movies included in the dvd, and i want to create some menus for it,,

ive tried tmpgenc, where it encoded the avi file to mpeg2, and when done, i found that the 1.5 gb avi movie turned out to be around 4.2 gb!
    i mean i can't make a compilation with this size, can i?

so, please someone direct me which prigram to use?? and do i need to convert the avi's to mpeg's? or is there a proram that deals with the avi format directly?
    the most imp. thing is thew menus..

sorry if it's been dicussed, and sorry for the missed up language,,
    thanks in advance,,

2. CaesarM

CaesarM Member

up..
    :(,,,,

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

As you've already found out, when you convert from AVI to MPEG there is a very large increase in size. This is because AVI is a compressed format which is why almost everything you download from the internet is some sort of AVI.

What can do is after you run your AVI's through TMPGEnc go ahead and process them through something like TMPGEnc DVD Author to add menus and put them into the proper DVD format without worrying about the file size at this point.

Once you have them just the way you want you can run your compilation through DVD Shrink to compress it down to the right size for a blank DVD :)

4. CaesarM

CaesarM Member

thank you Nephilim,,

but i think the final project size would be around 10 gb or even 12...!

would dvd shrink handle this alright??

thank you,,

5. CaesarM

CaesarM Member

and i have another Q,,
    when i converted the avi to mpeg2, the picture did not seem right, so i compared it with the original and here what i got,,

this one is from the original source:

[​IMG]

and here is the converted one:

[​IMG]

I think there is a problem with the asspect ratio or the pal and ntsc thing...

thanx,,

6. CaesarM

CaesarM Member

7. watcher98

watcher98 Guest

i was just looking for a answer to this question but am still a lil lost.but for the guys who answer thanks it give me a lil insight on what to do

8. Navig8r

Navig8r Regular member

Welcome CaesarM

Best Thing I have found (newbie also About 8 months in) is to use WinAvi to convert my Avi's and Mpegs to DVD (simple 2 click operation in WinAvi) then I use DVDLab to create the menus, chapters, menu transitions and backround music here's a tutorial for DVDLab HERE IS THE GUIDE (beginners guide, alot more to the program than this shows, but it will get you started)
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvd-lab.htm. It seems very difficult at first but after 2 or 3 try's you'll fly through it....on average I can fit 2 somtimes 3 movies on 1 DVD-r....and the really nice thing is you can mix NTSC and PAL movies with out a problem. You can also choose your format in the property settings....there is a 30 day free trial of DVDLab and ways to find it after that if you know what I mean ....hint hint.....anyway this is my suggestion are other programs that work and trust me i have tried them....but these have saved me soooo much time, headaches and frustration....these are truely the simplest and best way i have found ESPECIALLY for us newbies ...ya feel

well good luck and if you have any other question feel free to ask I'll be more than glad to help out anyway I can

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004