1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to Mpeg-1 sound problems

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by robert202, Mar 29, 2005.

1. robert202

robert202 Member

I am trying to convert some AVI TV shows to Mpeg-1 to store on DVD. I've had sucess with some files but others have out-of-sync audio or no audio. Here is the AVIcodec stats from one of the problem files:

File : 349 MB (349 MB), duration: 0:41:55, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 56 %
    Video : 312 MB, 1040 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 640*352 (16:9), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Supported
    Audio : 37 MB, 126 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

I've used several programs to convert the files and have problems with all of them. "AVI to MPG Converter" has out of sync audio. When I use Tmpg, I get no audio at all.

When I looked at the files that worked and the ones that didn't in AVIcodec, the only differences were the bit rates for audio and video. Any ideas?

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The file has VBR mp3 audio.
    There are at least 50 posts on audio sync problems.
    Do some searching.

3. robert202

robert202 Member

I have read most of the threads on sync problems and none of them have worked. I used virtual dub to separate the audio into a wave file and then re-encoded using tmpg and the result was an MPEG-1 file with no sound. I have tried simple de-mux and re-mux, but that didn't work either. I have downloaded every avi to mpeg program mentioned here and tried using that, but no luck. It must be a codec problem, but I don't know which codec is missing. I have downloaded DivX codecs, Xvid codecs and several codec packs. Telling me to read more threads at this point is not very usefull.

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

OK, you've got the tmpgenc video.
    You've got the .wav ripped out from virtualdub.
    Author them.

5. robert202

robert202 Member

I did, using tmpg and got an Mpeg file with no audio.