1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to MPEG sync problem using TMPGENc

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by candiria, Dec 14, 2004.

1. candiria

candiria Member

Hey, ok i have an AVI file that worked fine until i encode it to MPEG, it gradually goes out of sync, it only ends up about a second or two out of sync but its really annoying.

Using vobsub I have tried chancing the audio to full processing mode, setting the audio and video durations to match, changing the video to direct stream copy and saving it as a .wav and as a .avi e.t.c., and it still goes out of sync! i feel like im running out of ideas!

Can anyone help??

Thanks!
    Candiria

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  3. candiria

candiria Member

Ok i done what that thread said and converted the .wav to .mp2 and encoded it and it is still out of sync :( seems like i have done everything.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Candiria

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Strange. It seems that you set Virtualdub on Audio__Direct Stream Copy instead of Audio__Full Processing Mode. I have no anster or why it remains out-of sync (unless it is a constant amount and therefore you can add a fixed amounts of ms in the MP2 using BeSweet --> First Screen --> [bold]Append silence of [] ms [/bold]). The only way I could suggest is to check if the WAV is on-sync with the video (for example using BSPlayer and its subtitle properly sinchronized at the beginning of the movie and to the whole video [use SubTool]) and modifying the WAV with Exact Audio Copy inserting/deleting silences in the WAV and, after it has been done, converting it to MP2 as I posted. But's it's a hard, time-consuming work!! Only synchronizing the audio with a correct subtitle (synchronized with the video) is possible.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  5. ImL8

ImL8 Member

I am having a problem with synch too. Whats happening when I convert the avi to mpeg, it is loosing about a second every ten minutes. I have narrowed it down to the video. I did this by comparing the original audio to the new video, the converted audio to the old video, etc. Is there some setting in tmpgenc that suppresses blank screens or something? I really don't want to do as suggested and go through the entire audio stream and cut out bits and pieces, that would be very time consuming considering the shows I'm converting are close to 10 hours long :<
    Could that be the same problem you are having candiria? open the original avi and check the length, then open the mpg and check the length. Audio synch errors are really annoying!
    Also, try playing the new video with the old audio, is that out of synch? If it is, then its the video that is getting messed up, not the audio. It seems that most people assume its the audio that gets synch errors, but if the original audio is not in synch with the new video, then its something in the video encoding..
    If you are having the same problem I am, let me know... Maybe the two of us looking for a solution will be better than one of us ;)

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  7. ImL8

ImL8 Member

That solved my problem! What I was doing is converting the avi seperate from the audio source, then after the processing, trying to put the two together. But, now, I have about 30 hours of tmpgenc work to do. Thank you for pointing me in the correct direction, and I hope it works for candiria too :)

8. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I'm happy for you (read the 'sticky' threads, read the guides...).

9. lyberty

lyberty Member

candiria-

I wonder if this might have something to do with it?

I saw an option in TMPGEnc [version 2.5 Project Wizard (3/5) > Other Settings > Advanced] that says "Do not frame conversion". Description: "Frame rate will not be converted, but if source has different frame rate than MPEG, audio and movie will not be synchronized."

Any chance you had this checked? What was the frame rate of your source AVI? What's the frame rate of your new MPEG?

10. candiria

candiria Member

I did not have that option checked, should i have done? the video is 25frames/second and the audio of the avi is 1:15:02 and after being converted into wav its 1:15:11. I then converterted it into MP2 and it was 1:15:01, so i checked the 'do not frame rate conversion' box and encoded it, the new MPEG files is 25frames/second and it still comes out out of sync :(

So what can i do now?

Candiria

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004