1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avi to mpeg using TMPGENC Plus. Loose sound.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Truckpark, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Truckpark

Truckpark Member

I am sure i am doing something wrong, but there is a certain avi file that when i try to convert it to mpeg , i loose the sound. It plays fine on DivX player, with sound.
    Any ideas?

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Are you sure you are selecting the right file after the conversion as you should have 3 files.

1 x audio
    1 x video
    1 x audio and video

avi2mpeg separates your avi demuxs it and then recombines.(TMPGENC also )

3. Truckpark

Truckpark Member

Sorry but new to all this.
    It is actually a file someone sent to me. All i can see when i browse to install it on TMPGENC is the avi. file. So i insert that into the video section and it automatically finds the audio file for me.

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

have you got a program called avicodec.iTS a free d/load on the net.Run your program through it and it will give you the properties.

You could try avi2mpeg and select the function for avi to dvd.This will convert the file for you simply to an mpeg2 format which is compatable for placing files onto dvd.But it will give you 3 files ,make sure you pick the right one

andmerr

5. Truckpark

Truckpark Member

Thanks very much for your advise. Will give it a go and let you know how i get on.

6. andmerr

andmerr Guest

the guides section is pretty helpful but if you get stuck the members here are also a good source of info as well

have fun and hopefully success with your project

andmerr

7. Truckpark

Truckpark Member

Hi back again.

Okay, i have followed the instructions to the letter, i have checked everything and it is what it says it should be on the "convert an Avi to DVD". But there is still no sound.
    File : 699 MB (699 MB), duration: 1:24:00, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 52 %
    Video : 623 MB, 1037 Kbps, 23.976 fps, 640*272 (2.21:1), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Supported
    Audio : 76 MB, 128 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MP3, Supported

Also the file is huge when i got to the fina stage of converting, +/- 7gb.

It is very frustrating as i dont know enough to know what i am doing wrong. The first PAL avi file converted easily, but since then i havent been able to convert the other two i have.

8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

quote: XVID Mpeg-4,

i see mpeg 4 in your answer, d/load dvd santa from afterdawn and you should be able to convert the file from mpeg4 to mpeg 2 so that it will be in a compatable format ready to burn to disc.If the file comes out to big try dvd shrink to reduce the size.

andmerr

9. Truckpark

Truckpark Member

This is wierd. I am using DVD Santa, but every time i do it the XP error message comes up saying that dvd santa has encountered a problem blah, blah, however this time i didnt press any of the error report buttons, and i noticed that DVD Santa is still running. Confused, i am.
    And again, thank you for trying to help.

10. Truckpark

Truckpark Member

While i'm here, is there any way you can actually "clip" avi files, i.e remove a section at the beginning or the end?.

Hope im not pushing my luck with all these questions?

11. Truckpark

Truckpark Member

While i'm here, is there any way you can actually "clip" avi files, i.e remove a section at the beginning or the end?.

Hope im not pushing my luck with all these questions?

12. Truckpark

Truckpark Member

Okay, got to the end on Santa DVD and the program locked up. There is a VOB file where it should be, but i cant do anything with it??. I hope your patience isnt getting as thin as mine, cause i really want to be able to get this file onto a DVD.

Thanks

13. andmerr

andmerr Guest

what are the error messages you are getting?

you know if you put the error message in google it will direct you to the answer dont you.

AS to your question about avi editors heres one i found at:
    http://www.flickerfree.com

Personal AVI Editor is a fast and easy-to-use video capture and editing program. It can create AVI-files from from existing AVI- & BMP-files, as well as capture video from any Windows supported video capture card and record audio from any Windows supported sound card.

Some key features
    One video- & audio-track.
    Capture/record video and audio.
    Converts frame rates and sample rates on the fly.
    Digital effects in plug-in modules. Blue screen (the weather-man), Titles/text, Fade in, Fade out, Cross fade, 8 directional Wipes (video only) and Mix (audio only) are included. More plug-ins are available separately (check out MegaPlug).

or heres another:

http://www.handyarchive.com/free/avi-editor/

FadeToBlack AVI Video Editor
    Quickly and easily join, split, crop, modify color, rotate, overlay, blur your AVI video files, along with sequences of JPG and BMP images or photos from your digital camera.
    Related keywords:
    Multimedia, Video, AVI, Editing, Editor, Windows, Graphics, Simple, Easy, Cut, Fade, Blur, Join, DivX, MP3, cut, crop, snip, split, delete, edit, rotate, blur, color, filter, custom, overlay,

download free (1.66 Mb)

andmerr

it does i hope what you wish to achieve.

14. Truckpark

Truckpark Member

I didnt know about the error messages and Google. Tha is very helpfull.
    Thanks for the other stuff. Unfortunately i am away for a week but when i get back i'll give it all a go.

Thanks V much

15. andmerr

andmerr Guest

16. Truckpark

Truckpark Member

Hi i'm back.
    Managed to sort out the avi file. I actually saved the audio as a .wav file then inserted that into the audio section. Seems to work fine now.

This may be cheeky, but do you know about .bin and .cue extensions.
    A guy i work with has a pc game but it is on 3 discs and when i open them they just show .bin and .cue files. I have looked, i think everywhere for help. I have tried Alcahol 120 and fireburner, but they all seem to want to put the file onto a disc which ends up exactly the same as the ones i have. I can do nothing with them. Any ideas?.

17. andmerr

andmerr Guest

do you just want to copy them, if thats the case clone cd will do them for you .Very easy to use just like clonedvd ver 2

also on the front page of afterdawn there is a guide whichj will refer you to .bin/cue files

glad you got the avi sorted

andmerr

18. Truckpark

Truckpark Member

I actually want to load and play the game. Firstly i thought that if i used firburner it would "open up" all the stuff i needed to run the game, but all it did was give me another disc with the bin and cue files on it.
    Not exactly what i had in mind:)

19. Truckpark

Truckpark Member

PS. I have tried the instructions on from afterdawn, by burning the "image", but i get an unreadable disc.

20. andmerr

andmerr Guest

at the end of a thread you should see an icon.Private message me.

andmerr